Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-D Intl. Stealer rant and oil advice......

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 02:04 AM
ParaGrunt
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H-D Intl. Stealer rant and oil advice......

If you ever get a chance to go overseas to and take your ride with you. You might want to know what you are getting into with the International Dealers (Stealers). The battery crapped out on my 2007 Street Glide and H-D of Bahrain got me for the sum of 90 BHD which translates to $239. WOW! So, I asked them how much for a set of tires mounted. Their response 240 BHD = $637. If I buy the tires and bring them in, it will be 80 BHD = $212 WTF? And finally, a quart of H-D oil is........... 8 BHD or $22. I understand that this is a foreign country and all that. But this is ridiculous! I wonder if MOCO knows this is going on and if they really care. Anyway, does anyone think that Yamalube 20w-50 MC oil would be an acceptable substitute for regular v-twin type oils. In CONUS I use the Valvoline 20w-50 V-twin oil and have been quite happy with it.

T.F.
Manama, Bahrain

Old 08-29-2012, 02:16 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

well, they got all the money there, don't they ?

I am guessing that they have import duties on goods brought into the country.

It may pay off to find a support system other than the dealer, and substitutes for maintenance items like oil, filters, tires and batteries.

Mike

Old 08-29-2012, 02:30 AM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ParaGrunt
I The battery crapped out on my 2007 Street Glide and H-D of Bahrain got me for the sum of 90 BHD which translates to $239. WOW!
FWIW, I paid about that much in Canada too. Same for the tires (though mine were Metz 880s).

Old 08-29-2012, 04:33 AM
ParaGrunt
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
well, they got all the money there, don't they ?

I am guessing that they have import duties on goods brought into the country.

It may pay off to find a support system other than the dealer, and substitutes for maintenance items like oil, filters, tires and batteries.

Mike
Bahrain is not a rich as say Kuwait. The dealer in Kuwait City is not near as expensive as here. The problem with that is oil and batteries are HAZMAT and the postal service will not ship them to APO/FPO's . Tires on the other hand I get through J&P cycles (Free Shipping). Filters I get through my dealer back in CONUS.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:57 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

yamaha lube will be just fine...

Old 08-29-2012, 05:58 AM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Bahrain is not a rich as say Kuwait. The dealer in Kuwait City is not near as expensive as here. The problem with that is oil and batteries are HAZMAT and the postal service will not ship them to APO/FPO's . Tires on the other hand I get through J&P cycles (Free Shipping). Filters I get through my dealer back in CONUS.
Why are you limiting yourself to HD oil and battery? Most of us run oils from other mfgs. I'm sure you can find another brand battery for less. Soon as my HD batteries died, I switched to Sears or Walmart.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:06 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't need a v-twin oil. Any 20w-50 will do. Yamalube would be fine.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:10 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Because...they know they "gotch ya." Sucky deal, but the only other options are (1) internet + self-maint. (2) don't ship bike to these areas.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:30 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,129 Likes on 3,661 Posts

Any 20w50 or 15w50 will work for the Motor...Don't they have other battery places ...i am pretty sure a HD battery fits some metric bikes also...same with tires.... i am sure a Metric dealer would change your tires... they do have metric bike dealers there don't they...shop around. It looks like the same prices a s Canada pays like some other dude said.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,537 Posts

I asked them how much for a set of tires mounted. Their response 240 BHD = $637.
don't be too upset. i got a set of tires mounted on my 2010 and the total was $650.00. the worst part was that my dealer had just stopped their $1.00 per tire install the month prior.

Quick Reply: H-D Intl. Stealer rant and oil advice......