Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes on a batwing bagger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Blowzo
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Please excuse a nOOb question. Do apes make twisties harder, easier, just different or completely indifferent ?

I also thought apes would make your shoulders more tired however people are saying they are more comfortable and have less fatigue. Can someone help a noob out?

Last edited by Blowzo; 09-05-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:30 AM
kurt84
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blowzo
Please excuse a nOOb question. Do apes make twisties harder, easier, just different or completely indifferent ?

I also thought apes would make your shoulders more tired however people are saying they are more comfortable and have less fatigue. Can someone help a noob out?
Not sure what you are talking about in the first part of the question, but as for apes being comfortable, I would'nt have it any other way. My arms get more tired when they are low than when they are wider and up higher as with apes. On my 02 Softail, my hands were at the same height as my eyes...loved it. I just dont think that height will look good with my new bagger, so I am keeping them down around shoulder height.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:57 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Blowzo

Don't know how to answer the question. I guess indifferent. You don't steer a bike you lean. Nothing changes. Now if you are maneuvering around a parking lot it is different, but you get used to it real quick.

I suppose the theory would be that having your arms above you heart could make blood flow difficult and cause fatigue. I've never noticed it and thing my apes are more comfortable for longer and put my wrists in a much better position.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 PM
steelhead
Road Master

What was said about low speed it true. They take a short time to get used to but once you do, I think they are easier. As for comfort over a long day, night and day. On my RKC with 14" apes, I did both a Saddle Sore 1000 and a Bun Burner 1500. No problems. On my SG with the 12.5s, so far only around 600 mile days but still no shoulder issues.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Belfast_tmy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Twist n Smoke
13" Cyclesmiths here and love em.
Same bars here. I actually find it much easier to handle the bike with them, as well as putting me in a more comfortable position for longer rides.