Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes on a batwing bagger?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Realwun StateBurner
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

14 inch paul yaffe originals. I love them, I am 5"8".
BEFORE

AFTER

Old 08-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Realwun StateBurner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by S1dewinder
I'd like to go with some apes, can anyone one tell me about their experiences in cold weather riding? If your hands are are up over the batwing fairing do they get blasted with cold air? I will ride in 20 degree weather.

I don't have heated grips, the state trooper down the road does and if I got them I wouldn't be tougher than him!
I live in Colorado, heated grips are recommended, but I had to change gloves to gauntlet style to ensure my wrists stayed covered during cold or rainy days.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:26 PM
ThePunster
Advanced

I had 16's on my Glide - loved them, they look amazing, go for it.

Couple of things -

first already mentioned, hands get cold when not behind fairing.

Next, I had fairing mount mirrors and the apes moved my hands/arms into a position making the mirrors completely useless.

And finally, riding they are great but you have no leverage moving the bike around not under power. Meaning you can't muscle a 800+ Pound bike around pushing on bars very high above it- in my experience.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Chucks1911
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

52 here.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:07 PM
GrayFox042
Novice

Adding apes was the second best investment on my '08 SG. WO577s. Much more comfortable, especially on long trips. Reduced my neck and back fatigue.

I used my heated hand grips a couple of weeks ago in temps around 50 degrees and raining (highway speeds). They made a huge a difference. I can't speak for sub 30 degree weather with apes (didn't have apes at the time).

Old 08-29-2012, 11:13 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not everyone is cool enough to put apes on a bagger.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

6'0, 13" apes just above the fairing, looks great, feels fantastic.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:43 PM
S1dewinder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Realwun StateBurner
I live in Colorado, heated grips are recommended, but I had to change gloves to gauntlet style to ensure my wrists stayed covered during cold or rainy days.
Ok, I'm in Brighton, north of the airport. If there's no ice/ water/precip on the road I'm riding. I'm gonna hijack the thread a little bit here but can you tell me about gauntlet riding? I have a fox creek jacket and the sleeves came about 2 inches too short. Nothing I can do about it now (I've already emailed them, too bad they say), is it just as easy as tucking the sleeves into the extended cuff of the glove? I'll try it anyway, try to figure out a way to make it work. But I do have the big H D gauntlet style heated gloves, don't use them much because they're SO big I can't do much when I'm wearing them. all my other gloves get zippered inside the sleeve of my jacket, rather than outside and over the sleeve.

I'll figure it out though. If the Fox Creek let's cold air in because the sleeves are too short and it's zippered over the glove (as it does now) then I'll go back to my 20 year old Joe Rocket textile for the winter. That Joe Rocket had long sleeves and tight zippers, always seemed airtight, even on a sport bike with minimal fairing. Gonna bum me out, I love to patronize made in the USA. I'd always hoped USA companies would kick chinas *** in quality, fit, customer support, etc. not always though, I see.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:36 AM
jjpish
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LA Choppers Prime Apes 13s on my 11 EG Ultra Classic.

Do they look good? You decide...

Old 08-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Apes on a RG don't look as good.

Quick Reply: Apes on a batwing bagger?