Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FL Hard Bags

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:25 PM
tlar1540
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FL Hard Bags

Have a set of FL hard bags off of an 09 SG. The latch on the right bag pops open when riding. Doesn't matter if it's a mile or 40 miles. Any ideas on how to fix this without having to keep them locked?? Thanks!

Old 08-28-2012, 12:41 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I guess it's an adjustment, but I always keep mine locked when rinding, it's an old habit.
and that way I know if I stop for gas, I don't have to take the time to secure them.

If the key barrel index is rotated forwards, the bag is locked

I have seen other riders cruising down the road with the saddlebag lid flopped open.

mike

Old 08-28-2012, 12:43 PM
SoCal Ultra
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the latch spring...if it has snapped the lid will flop and the latch seem loose. The new spring is fairly easy to replace, just follow instructions in service manual and protect your paint.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:55 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

It's the cloth tether that connects the lid to the bag. It creases, then gets jammed up between the two when you shut the lid. If you straighten out the crease as you're shutting it, it will stay latched. But it's always a good idea to keep it locked also.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain
Received 330 Likes on 150 Posts

Good suggestions above. I have had my lid pop open twice due to ME NOT LATCHING IT CORRECTLY. The clip on the lid wasn't properly under the bracket on bag creating a positive pressure to unlatch it at the right bump. I double check it everytime now...just like the jiffy stand...do I have the stand forward 100% and in the notch before dismount? Earthquake, Southern CAL.1:31pm. Another minor one to add to the swarm!

Last edited by Mr. Mike; 08-29-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:59 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

I agree with the cloth getting wedged and keeping it from closing properly. Keep them locked and replace at least one of the quick detach on each bag with a bolt. I put one Brukus bolt on each bag.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

There are also two tabs under the latch that can be adjusted to tighten the latch. Just make sure the tether is not in the way causing it.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:13 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

What themouth said! They are called fingers and can be adjusted to tighten up the latch.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I had a shovel with the early style bags and the advice back in the 70s was to keep'em locked, just in case a lid flew off! Same advice applies to today, although the lid won't fly away. By all means check that everything is just right, but lock before riding.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Brukus Motorcycle Parts
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FDHOG
I agree with the cloth getting wedged and keeping it from closing properly. Keep them locked and replace at least one of the quick detach on each bag with a bolt. I put one Brukus bolt on each bag.
Thanks for the plug.

And wanted to let you know we are running a FREE SHIPPING sale for the next couple of days on ALL OUR PRODUCTS - SaddlebagSecure, SeatSecure, ShieldShackle - to secure the detachable windshields, TourPack and Detachables BULLET Secure, KickShoe, WingShields, etc. to help customers get ready for Biketoberfest and the other fall rallies. So you can purchase all products at the HDForum Discount AND not pay standard domestic or Canadian shipping.

Quick Reply: FL Hard Bags