Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any of you short guys adjust the stock SG handlebars for more comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any of you short guys adjust the stock SG handlebars for more comfort?

I'm 5'6" and wondering if i can accommodate myself better by loosening the stock bars on my 09 SG and pulling them toward me? Anyone done this and was it effective?

Old 08-27-2012, 02:09 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jswerve
I'm 5'6" and wondering if i can accommodate myself better by loosening the stock bars on my 09 SG and pulling them toward me? Anyone done this and was it effective?
There's not enough there to do that. I'm 5'9" and went to the HD Pull Back Bars but there are other, possibly better, bars out there to get comfortable on the SG.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Deer Stalker
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Had mine pulled down as far as they would go without hitting the tank, I just feel more comfortable with my hands low rather than higher. It was only really noticeable on days when travelling several hundred miles at which point it helps reduce fatigue..

Old 08-27-2012, 02:31 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had bought the reduced reach bars for my 07 SG... never installed them; instead I went with 12" PYO and never regretted it.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:02 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Yeah your going down an expensive road.....It'll start with the bars, then the seat, then you'll start on lowering the bike.....oh boy.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Yeah your going down an expensive road.....It'll start with the bars, then the seat, then you'll start on lowering the bike.....oh boy.
That's ok bro, I just about have this thing paid off then I am gonna go bat*hit crazy ordering things. I think some 10" apes might be in line

Old 08-27-2012, 05:28 PM
kchopp
4th Gear

I went with the Touring Pull Back Handelbars. They are supposed to bring them 2 inches closer to the rider. I'm happy now with the bars, but the install was a nightmare! I had a dealership put them on. They said I didn't need different cables (not true). We picked it up and the next day my husband took it out for a ride. after a lunch stop, he couldn't get it to go into gear, then when it did it was like riding a bucking bronco all the way home. (I would of parked it and called the dealer to come get the thing).
They replaced a burned up clutch plate and starter relay swtch. We picked it up again and it was again cutting out when in 2nd and 3rd gear. We turned right around and took it back. They couldn't find anything wrong. The next morning they went to move it and found that when you turned a hard right, the clutch cable wasn't long enough. The bike only had 3000 miles on it at the time so all the extra and screw-ups were warranty covered.
Had I known the hassles involved, I would have gotten bars to give me a bigger difference than 2 inches!

Old 08-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

have the pullback bars also and the extended clutch cable as well. I like the bars but like you sometimes they came back a little more but don't have a clue what I'd go with.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kchopp
I went with the Touring Pull Back Handelbars. They are supposed to bring them 2 inches closer to the rider. I'm happy now with the bars, but the install was a nightmare! I had a dealership put them on. They said I didn't need different cables (not true). We picked it up and the next day my husband took it out for a ride. after a lunch stop, he couldn't get it to go into gear, then when it did it was like riding a bucking bronco all the way home. (I would of parked it and called the dealer to come get the thing).
They replaced a burned up clutch plate and starter relay swtch. We picked it up again and it was again cutting out when in 2nd and 3rd gear. We turned right around and took it back. They couldn't find anything wrong. The next morning they went to move it and found that when you turned a hard right, the clutch cable wasn't long enough. The bike only had 3000 miles on it at the time so all the extra and screw-ups were warranty covered.
Had I known the hassles involved, I would have gotten bars to give me a bigger difference than 2 inches!
What a nightmare!!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:23 PM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm 5'6" and i adjusted my bars... first i loosened the clamp bolts ALL THE WAY then i "adjusted" the bars right onto the wall of my garage.... and put on 10" Yaffe Monkey Bars..... best thing i ever did... bars are still a little below my shoulders and comfort, controll, and attitude are all WAY up!

Quick Reply: Any of you short guys adjust the stock SG handlebars for more comfort?