Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any of you short guys adjust the stock SG handlebars for more comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1158
i'm 5'6" and i adjusted my bars... first i loosened the clamp bolts ALL THE WAY then i "adjusted" the bars right onto the wall of my garage.... and put on 10" Yaffe Monkey Bars..... best thing i ever did... bars are still a little below my shoulders and comfort, controll, and attitude are all WAY up!
Yeah I think then 10's are cool

Old 08-27-2012, 09:20 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

i'm 5'6" and i adjusted my bars... first i loosened the clamp bolts ALL THE WAY then i "adjusted" the bars right onto the wall of my garage.... and put on 10" Yaffe Monkey Bars..... best thing i ever did... bars are still a little below my shoulders and comfort, controll, and attitude are all WAY up!
Do your hands end up above the fairing and in the wind? Any pix? Thanks

Old 08-28-2012, 12:07 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mtgriz
was wondering the same thing

Old 08-28-2012, 12:50 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,146 Likes on 4,374 Posts

Originally Posted by kchopp
I went with the Touring Pull Back Handelbars. They are supposed to bring them 2 inches closer to the rider. I'm happy now with the bars, but the install was a nightmare! I had a dealership put them on. They said I didn't need different cables (not true). We picked it up and the next day my husband took it out for a ride. after a lunch stop, he couldn't get it to go into gear, then when it did it was like riding a bucking bronco all the way home. (I would of parked it and called the dealer to come get the thing).
They replaced a burned up clutch plate and starter relay swtch. We picked it up again and it was again cutting out when in 2nd and 3rd gear. We turned right around and took it back. They couldn't find anything wrong. The next morning they went to move it and found that when you turned a hard right, the clutch cable wasn't long enough. The bike only had 3000 miles on it at the time so all the extra and screw-ups were warranty covered.
Had I known the hassles involved, I would have gotten bars to give me a bigger difference than 2 inches!

Wow, that sucks.... especially when the dealer did the install.

I had my dealer install the HD Pullback handlebars #56176-08 at my 1K service. They only charged 2 hrs labor, needed no new cables or brake lines, ran the wires inside the bars with a new twist grip sensor, and I have an additional 5K miles on the bike with the new bars and no troubles. I'm wondering why your dealer had such a hard time with the install...?

To the OP....... I'm 5'8" w/31" inseam and the HD pullback bars feel good to me. They gain their 2" by changing the angle of the grips. Some say it feels like a wheelbarrow, but I find them comfortable.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:28 AM
kchopp
4th Gear

Originally Posted by hattitude
Wow, that sucks.... especially when the dealer did the install.

I had my dealer install the HD Pullback handlebars #56176-08 at my 1K service. They only charged 2 hrs labor, needed no new cables or brake lines, ran the wires inside the bars with a new twist grip sensor, and I have an additional 5K miles on the bike with the new bars and no troubles. I'm wondering why your dealer had such a hard time with the install...?

To the OP....... I'm 5'8" w/31" inseam and the HD pullback bars feel good to me. They gain their 2" by changing the angle of the grips. Some say it feels like a wheelbarrow, but I find them comfortable.
It's obvious to me that the service dept at this dealership don't know what they are doing. Maybe my heated grips threw them off

Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 AM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtgriz
visually the the grips are just at the top of the fairing, but do to the shape of the fairing it angles the wind up and over...

i took these pics before i put the windsheild back on to give the best image of how the bars match up to fairing without having the windsheild to distract your eye....

Attached Thumbnails Any of you short guys adjust the stock SG handlebars for more comfort?-monkey-bars-side.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

visually the the grips are just at the top of the fairing, but do to the shape of the fairing it angles the wind up and over...

i took these pics before i put the windsheild back on to give the best image of how the bars match up to fairing without having the windsheild to distract your eye....
Those are badass... is there a way to find out how to measure a bars pullback etc. to your reach etc. so i don't buy something i am not happy with?

Old 08-28-2012, 08:58 PM
mike1158
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jswerve
Those are badass... is there a way to find out how to measure a bars pullback etc. to your reach etc. so i don't buy something i am not happy with?
Monkey bars are listed as having a 9" pullback... generally the manufcturers web site will give the info... the WILD 1 website has a few charts with a bunch of stock bar dimensions and info as well as dimensions on their bars..

Old 08-28-2012, 11:56 PM
notrailers
Road Master

What is your inseam? Handlebar position is only one aspect to making a bike fit you. There are many post on this topic. IMO: you should research the "Drop Seat Kits" available on the market. To me that should be your starting point.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by notrailers
What is your inseam? Handlebar position is only one aspect to making a bike fit you. There are many post on this topic. IMO: you should research the "Drop Seat Kits" available on the market. To me that should be your starting point.
Not sure if I want to spend 2K on a drop seat kit though... I am gonna try meancities' super narrow mod on a 2011 or 12 factory seat first and go from there. I think my inseam is right around 29 or 30"

Quick Reply: Any of you short guys adjust the stock SG handlebars for more comfort?