Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercom Volume

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Bosko
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercom Volume

Just added the Harley headset to my wifes lid for my '12 Ultra LTD. Other headset is Harley's as well. Both helmets receive the radio audio (AM/FM/XM/AUX) & I know the CB works well, bike to bike, for the rider. Don't have another bike around currently to see if the passenger CB feature works. But that's not where I'm stuck.

When speaking into either mic, the radio volume decreases & if I really strain to hear what I should from the other lid, I can hear some. But the volume for that voice is way too low & I'll be go to heck as to the fix. The book is a 100% joke, so please don't send me there. Either there is way too little info or the info there only serves to confuse. And as you all know that have these units, they have entirely too many combinations of buttons to push to make anything work properly.

I have tried adjusting the front/rear volumes a little (didn't spend a bunch of time though), but all I seem to get is a guaranteed blast to my ears when the VOX shuts off & the radio volume returns to where it was set due to my almost maxing it out so I could hear anything at all via the mic.

Bottom line, after talking to 2 dealerships & discovering that I knew more than their SERVICE dept.'s do (Their bad vs. my good), I quit & am asking for help here. I simply wish that both helmets can talk to each other & the volume seems to be the issue. Any takers?

Also, the VOX control is only to adjust the mics sensitivity, correct? That shouldn't come into play for my issue if so.

Thanks for your assistance!

Old 08-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a 11 Limited but don't use the intercom feature so can't answer intercom volume. You are correct about VOX. It's a voice activated transmit and it sets the sensitivity of activation. Too sensitive and when you breath it activates, not enough and you may have to shout to say something.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:02 PM
gnirtsnod
Cruiser

I assume you know to go into the intercom setup mode to adjust the volume. Each feature, i.e. intercom, CB, and audio (radio) all setup in different modes toggled by pressing the intercom button on the left side of the radio face. You will then be in setup mode for just the intercom feature.

One trick to adjust the volume without toggling the mode switch is to have your wife begin talking into the intercom and when you hear the radio drop out, turn up the volume. This should only affect the volume on the intercom.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:02 PM
WAYJO
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

First of all, do not set the vox on more than 1/2 way. now when you go to adjust the volume on the intercom, you have to be sure that the last button you pushed before trying to adjust, was the "int" button on the radio. I went thru this before also till I realized that to adjust anything, you have to be sure that that mode is showing on the radio screen or you are adjusting something other than what you want to be setting.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:19 PM
Krow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like gnirtsnod said, you have to press the int button to enter intercom mode to adjust intercom volume there - it's separate from the radio vol and both rider and passenger can adjust their volume independently. Once you set your volumes to comfortable levels, exit intercom mode (tap int button again). Once back in radio mode, volume adjusts music, etc. but has no effect on Intercom or CB volumes.

Same idea for CB - you have to enter CB Setup to adjust volume of CB reception independent of other settings.

HTH

Old 08-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Bosko
Stage II
Default Thanks!

From what I read above from Gnirtsond & Krow, it would be best for me to refocus on the volume levels while in the intercom mode. As I mentioned in my initial post, I likely didn't work enough on that aspect. And the input on making sure I switched modes is likely where I was suffering from being blasted by the return of the radio mode because I mistakenly was upping that volume in my efforts to hear the passengers voice.

Thanks as well for the VOX setting info Wayjo & Chunker. Once I get this sucker figured out so that I can hear the passenger & the rider hearing me, I figured I would likely have to battle with the VOX settings until I got the sensitivity just right. As one who rides fast & hard combined with my D&D Fatcats, I figure my motor & the wind noise was going to be an issue. But now I have a great starting point.

Finally, know that many of you folks are running "not new" bikes. Where your use of the manual is negligible. But for those of us with new bikes, I'd love to be in a room with the person(s) responsible for putting that crap out. I'd sure enjoy having them attempt to explain how their valued customers are supposed to learn how to operate the machine with such incomplete & in parts, completely confusing info.

I feel better now!

My next move is to do the setup suggested here & if that fails, back to the dealership!

Again, thanks!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:16 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

we both gave up on vox and use the ptt button,never can get it set right,sensitive enough to not have to yell at it then the trucks and wind on the highway open it.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Verbal
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bosko
=Finally, know that many of you folks are running "not new" bikes. Where your use of the manual is negligible. But for those of us with new bikes, I'd love to be in a room with the person(s) responsible for putting that crap out. I'd sure enjoy having them attempt to explain how their valued customers are supposed to learn how to operate the machine with such incomplete & in parts, completely confusing info.

Again, thanks!
As is the shop manual. Only thing I can imagine is lawyers looking out for liability...

Last edited by Verbal; 08-27-2012 at 06:28 PM.