Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM Gauge installed off center...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 07:23 AM
iglideUC
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RPM Gauge installed off center...

I ordered titanium gauges for my ultra and was advised by dealer that they would need to install them because the speedo had to be setup with the ecm. the set included speedo, rpm, volt, oil pressure, and oil temp gauges. I noticed after the install that the rpm gauge was off center and leaning to the left. The bar and shield was crooked and 4 was a quarter inch off the tick at the top of the insert looking at the bat wing from the riders seat. I pointed this out to service personel and was surprised to hear that it could not be corrected. He stated that they only go on one way. I pointed to other bikes that had properly lined up gauges and could not find any that were off center. Although he did agree that the gauge was off center and did not look right, there was nothing that they could do.
Anyone have this issue. I am seeing red flags here and worried that they screwed up something and did not want to pull the wing and fix it. thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails RPM Gauge installed off center...-rpmgaugeissue.jpg  

Last edited by iglideUC; 08-25-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:39 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by iglideUC
I ordered titanium gauges for my ultra and was advised by dealer that they would need to install them because the speedo had to be setup with the ecm. the set included speedo, rpm, volt, oil pressure, and oil temp gauges. I noticed after the install that the rpm gauge was off center and leaning to the left. The bar and shield was crooked and 4 was a quarter inch off the tick at the top of the insert looking at the bat wing from the riders seat. I pointed this out to service personel and was surprised to hear that it could not be corrected. He stated that they only go on one way. I pointed to other bikes that had properly lined up gauges and could not find any that were off center. Although he did agree that the gauge was off center and did not look right, there was nothing that they could do.
Anyone have this issue. I am seeing red flags here and worried that they screwed up something and did not want to pull the wing and fix it. thoughts?
You can most definitely adjust the gauges in the dash. It doesn't require a PhD to rotate the tach in its housing so that the logo is horizontal. I've done it with my own speedo and tach. As for the tach being off center, it's not obvious in your picture. Plus, the hole in the inner fairing isn't much bigger than the gauge so how could it be much off center?
I'd take the outer fairing off, loosen the bolts attaching the tach to the bracket and rotate/move the tach a wee bit. Takes 10mn to fix the problem.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 08-25-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:43 AM
WOLFMAN94
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a notch that the guage sits in that is supposed to keep it centered. So its either not in the notch or its a defective guage. I would demand they pull the fairing to verify witch situation it is and resolve the problem. That would drive me CRAZY!

Old 08-25-2012, 07:56 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts
Talking There you go, sweatin' the small stuff!!

There's no doubt that gauge meets or exceeds Chinese production quality standards with no problem! As long as it's not completely upside-down, it's fine.

Last edited by jpooch00; 08-25-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:20 AM
iglideUC
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
You can most definitely adjust the gauges in the dash. It doesn't require a PhD to rotate the tach in its housing so that the logo is horizontal. I've done it with my own speedo and tach. As for the tach being off center, it's not obvious in your picture. Plus, the hole in the inner fairing isn't much bigger than the gauge so how could it be off center?
I'd take the outer fairing off, loosen the bolts attaching the tach to the bracket and rotate the tach a wee bit.
i should clarify that it is not the hole off center that i was referring to, my apologies for the misunderstanding. looking at the gauge from the riders seat, there is a notch at the top. in all the other bikes that i looked at the 4 was lined up with the tick mark. And thanks for the advise!

It is not that it can be corrected as i do agree it is small stuff no doubt! LOL its the $90.00 and hr in labor for 2.5 hours charges for the install. im just saying.......... LOL

Attached Thumbnails RPM Gauge installed off center...-gauge-mark.jpg  

Last edited by iglideUC; 08-25-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:26 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by iglideUC
i should clarify that it is not the hole off center that i was referring to, my apologies for the misunderstanding. looking at the gauge from the riders seat, there is a notch at the top. in all the other bikes that i looked at the 4 was lined up with the tick mark. And thanks for the advise!
OK, got it now. You can definitely rotate the tach a wee bit. I've done it. It's a very simple job that your dealer should do for free to fix his lack of attention to detail.
I did it myself when I installed my oil temp gauge to replace the useless air temp gauge so while I was at it, I fixed the tach not being perfectly aligned.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 08-25-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:00 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

i can't tell if your gauge is off by your pic, but what would **** me off is the dealer just flat out lied to you. the only thing they have to do is order the speedo with the mileage, you can install these gauges yourself easily. at least that is what the website says, i haven't yet done this, but plan to.

Gauges are plug-in ready, and require no additional splicing or re-wiring for installation. Mileage reinstatement is available through your dealer.