Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8000 km Oil change and checkup

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 06:11 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 8000 km Oil change and checkup

This will be the last time the dealer is doing this for me because it feels like my yearly checkup in my doctors office when he tells me to roll over and i hear him snapping his rubber glove on.
Any warranty issues with doing fluid changes myself as long as i keep the receipts for filter and fluids?
I bought the manuals and am still looking into buying a lift/table.
I haven't switched to synthetic as of yet but I'm considering it. What fluids do you recommend?

Last edited by Pete6114; 08-25-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:19 AM
Esuomm1
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do an advanced search on "oil", "fluid", etc. in the subject line.

Topic has been discussed. Lots (tons) of good info will come back.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you keep the records of fluids & parts used then if they are ever needed, you have them handy. Doing your own service will not void the warranty.

Set up a MS Word computer file for you bike and keep good records of all the services and upgrades/add ons that you do. Stuff like Part Numbers, Price & Dates will be handy to have if you need to go back & see or in case you sell/trade the bike later. Just in case, excellent detailed records are always good in a legal dispute.

Re: Oils & filters... the choices are numerous and come down to personal choices. Like the other posted said, research it here because the opinions on oils, fluids & filter are considerable. If you buy a name brand oil designed for a HD V-Twin, your always covered.

You can change over to synthetic oil at anytime. The HD CVOs have Syn3 Oil installed at the factory.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:29 AM
06UltraBig95
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pete6114
This will be the last time the dealer is doing this for me because it feels like my yearly checkup in my doctors office when he tells me to roll over and i hear him snapping his rubber glove on.
Any warranty issues with doing fluid changes myself as long as i keep the receipts for filter and fluids?
I bought the manuals and am still looking into buying a lift/table.
I haven't switched to synthetic as of yet but I'm considering it. What fluids do you recommend?
I feel your pain, I have bought a lift (Princess auto $600.00) and a service manual, I have done the oil changes my self for the last couple of years. I have also done the bars, exhaust, air filter, and Thundermax all to avoid the $130.00/hour rate of the local Harley dealer. The 8000 KM service is now up to $400.00 plus extras if needed such as belts tires, etc. Enough is enough.
With any luck I am hoping to get the fuel moto 107 big bore done next spring and hope to only see the local dealer as I pass them by on the highway.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

Just bought my Mobil 1 V Twin oil today with a M-102 filter. I normally have a case (bought on sale,) but I ran out.

So these 4 qts and a filter with the tax cost me $60.

I can't imagine paying somebody else to change it, adjust a few things and check a few things more.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:54 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

self maintenance is a great idea- if the owner knows what they are doing.

step one is to get the manual and follow it, understanding what they are about to do before opening the tool box.

this is especially easy if the owner has taken care of other vehicles and has a basic understanding of "what seems right/wrong".

some owner s are just not cut out for this- if you are not in the habit of changing oil on the family car, then you shouldn't be trying to do a cam swap on a motorcycle.

Mike

Old 08-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar

some owner s are just not cut out for this- if you are not in the habit of changing oil on the family car, then you shouldn't be trying to do a cam swap on a motorcycle.

Mike
Good points there...don't apply to me though.
I had the dealer do the 3k and the 8 k fluid changes/ checkups. Paid 305.- for the 8k service. Had a appointment for 9 am and got out of there at 12.45.
Think i'll end up with a "handy" lift and stop wasting money and time at the dealership. Gonna stock up on fluids/filters/gaskets when i go to OH in sep. and probably end up taking the truck, so i can buy the lift in OH as well.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:17 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

excellent- you will be off and running.

BTW I use a $69 sams club lift. ( chinese/Larin)

while it lacks all the awesomeness of a high dollar lift - and the pivot bolts were all replaced with grade 8 bolts ( $12).

it has lifted dozens of bikes, dozens of times.- i probably use mine twice a month, rarely do i do more than have it secure a bike upright- just inches above the ground.

So you can save with wise choices of equipment and tools.

Mike

Old 08-25-2012, 04:20 PM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I also use a cheap lift for cleaning and servicing, it works just fine.

But im not the type to jack it up to the max height, and leave it like that in the garage, the cylinder in cheaper jacks will probably bleed off its pressure over time.

People are nuts to pay for dealers to change their oil, the prices are nuts. And if your like me youll enjoy workin on your own machine. Now when it comes to my cage, its 30 bucks for oil and a filter, and 40 for jiffy lube to do it....yup im goin to jiffy lube and drinkin a coffe while the guy changes my oil, for 10 bucks more its worth it to me not to have to lay on my back in the driveway. But 100 dollars or more for an oil change on my bike, not a chance. Only use the dealer if the task is out of my comfort zone.