Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very light front braking, caliper pistons barely moving.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 07:56 PM
KiloGolf4
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Very light front braking, caliper pistons barely moving.

On the test ride when I purchased this '03 EGC, I immediately had an issue with the weak front brake. So after reading about the issues alot of guys have on here with the front brakes, I pulled a caliper off this evening to check/clean the pistons. They were not all that dirty but it took about twenty pulls of the front brake lever to get them to come out even 1/8th of an inch to clean. Then, only three of the four pistons actually came out. This was only on the RH caliper, I did not have the LH caliper off.

It sounds like I may have a bad master cylinder? The brakes work, but just barely. I have to pull them almost to the grip and even then, the power just isn't there. Rear brakes stop the bike NOW with maybe 1/2-3/4" travel.

Pads and rotors look good. Ideas? Thanks, KG

Old 08-23-2012, 08:15 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the brake fluid level?

Old 08-23-2012, 09:02 PM
turckster
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spray some brake clean on the pistons, sounds like they are sticking. Keep doing so until they free up. Just did this to my '03 FLHT and made a heck of a difference.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:02 PM
KiloGolf4
Cruiser

With the pads/caliper reinstalled, the fluid level was good.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:18 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 768 Likes on 521 Posts

If you squeeze and hold the brake lever and it slowly moves to the hand grip you have an internal bypass in the master cylinder and replacement or overhaul is necessary. If the lever gets firm and will move in no farther, the master cyl is probably good. Others have reported scooters of that vintage have trouble with the caliper pistons binding in the bores from accumulated brake dust and environmental grunge. A thorough cleaning usually returns the system to normal. There should be a detailed description in the maintenance (wheels and brakes) section.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:28 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Is this a dealer sale or private? I would flush out the brake fluid and replace with new and as already mentioned spray the chit out of the calipers with brake cleaner. I also take a shoe lace and use it like dental floss around the backside of the pistons when they are fully extended to help clean and remove crap that may be on the pistons.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:58 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

rebuild kit for the calipers is like $13...rebuild the calipers

Old 08-23-2012, 09:59 PM
KiloGolf4
Cruiser

It was a private sale. Caliper pistons are now clean but there was only slight amounts of dust on the outside surface of the pistons. The pistons also didn't appear to bind in the caliper. I could lever them back into the caliper with normal pressure to the pads with a tool.

It doesn't slowly relax either. Once I pull it in about 80% of travel, it gets tightens up and stays that way. But it doesn't have much clamping power. The reason I thought the MC was bad was because of the very small amount of travel to the pistons per squeeze on the brake lever.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:23 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

try bleeding the brakes with a clear hose to see how much fliud actually comes out with one or 2 handle pulls.
That will tell you alot if you already did the "pressure test" and it's holding

you may have trash in the master cyclinder that you cant see.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:54 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

Make sure you use the right DOT brake fluid in them. I don't have the book in front of me here but there is DOT 4 and DOT 5 and you're not supposed to mix them.

Quick Reply: Very light front braking, caliper pistons barely moving.