Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help on a Bike Pick

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 12:13 PM
B00001
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Need some help on a Bike Pick

Running into a dilemma on which bike to pick and wanted to see if anyone could shed a little light, Pros/Cons, maybe something I have not thought of or looked at between what I currently have narrowed down.

Bike 1 is a new Street Glide

Bike 2 is a new on showroom floor 2012 Electra Glide Classic

Bike 3 is a used 2009 Electra Glide Classic w/ABS and Security-This bike has V&H pipes (I assume slip ons), AC and Tune. Comes with detachable tourpack, short and tall windshields and SG seat and factory EGC seat.

I like the idea of bike 3 because I can QR off the trunk, throw the seat and short windshield on and I have essentially a Street Glide. I know there are slight differences between the EGC and SG, namely the front wheel size, the 1 inch more travel and longer shocks on EGC and it looks like about 40lbs dry weight difference. That is all I could find.

Now my intended use- I will be riding it on weekends for day trips sometimes 2 up on these trips, commuting around town and maybe some longer trips out of state of 3-4+ days. With time constraints I dont see these long trips happening more than a couple times a year.

I like the idea of having the taller windshield, trunk and suspension travel for those long rides. I like the increased pep and lighter weight of the SG. If I were to buy a SG, I would prob end up buying a trunk and taller windshield. Of course if I go new, I would also have to do pipes, AC and tune. More money, more money, more money.

I could get into this used EGC and save roughly $4500 vs the best deal I could find on a new EGC. That is not factoring in pipes, AC, tune either. This NEW EGC would be a new 2012 all stock.

I cant get as good a deal on a new SG as every one seems to be out of the 2012 local but they do have 2013 and are not willing to deal. So that adds another $2k so additional $6500 if I wanted new SG. Plus pipes, AC, etc, etc.

My concerns-If I go with the used EGC and save a good chunk of money, I am afraid the bike will not give me enough power (96 motor vs 103) and not sporty enough ride (more suspension travel, smaller diameter frt wheel, heavier) to make riding a 900 pound bike what I consider enjoyable. I come from a long line of many bikes from goldwings to sport bikes but no HD. My thought though is if I get the used bike and it turns out I do not dig it, I could turn around and sell it without losing too much vs either of the new ones.

So I am leaning towards the used '09 EGC. I did ride both a 2012 SG and a 2012 Ultra (the shop did not have the EGC so the Ultra was the closest they had for comparison) and while I liked the way the SG performed, the suspension would be a bit stiff over a long trip and the wind was knocking my head all over the place. It was a fun ride though. When I rode the Ultra, the seat was certainly softer as well as the ride but I could feel the weight and the bike felt overall sluggish and did not handle as well as the SG. But, if I were to do the used one, and take that trunk off, maybe that would give me the best of both worlds and be my best choice of the 3 bikes?

Old 08-23-2012, 12:22 PM
HarleyArcher
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Honestly once you have the benefits of the tour pak and the taller windshield your gonna find out you are not taking them off very frequently. I have a 2012 RGC and have a quick detach tp and touring seat along with the stock seat. I thought well I will just swap stuff out when the wife isn't with me. Never happens, I get use to having the storage and how the bike rides with the touring items on. You won't notice a difference in the handling of the bike with or without the TP. I personally would go for the new 2012 that has a warranty and can be personalized to your desire.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:25 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Welcome Aboard

Welcome aboard from NJ.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:26 PM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would go with #3, you can always do things to make the bike perform better like cams and things, you also would not take as big of a hit if you did not like it and wanted to sell it.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:30 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

...... i'd go w/the RoadGlide
.... i know it's not on your short list, but i figured that was just some sort of typo
.......... & if that wasn't a typo, i'd do #3

Old 08-23-2012, 12:35 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

#1 the SG for sure take it for a ride and see!

Old 08-23-2012, 12:37 PM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
.... i know it's not on your short list, but i figured that was just some sort of typo

Also I have a detachable tour pak on my RG and haven't taken it off in over 3 years.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:38 PM
woodyt74
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with #3 and with the money you save you can install the 103 stage II kit which will give you all the performance you see in the SG with plenty of low end torque for two up riding. You will still have money left over to further customize it to your liking.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:41 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Door #3. The '09 has catless headpipe another plus.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:42 PM
B00001
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
Nah, I am not considering the RG. Cool bikes and all, just not for me at this time.

Quick Reply: Need some help on a Bike Pick