Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive fork springs in 97 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 06:59 AM
Javieret
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Progressive fork springs in 97 Road King

Hi everybody,

I have a 1997 Road King FLHR which has the front fork air assisted suspension that Harley used in that years. As this suspension gives me a lot of troubles like air loosing, etc. I would like to eliminate this system replacing it with a non air assisted system that works well and without troubles.

I've been looking for new springs in the Progressive Suspension site and it seems that I can put the Progressive 11-1131 fork springs (stock height, I don't want to go lower) in my 97 Road King and I would like to know if this is true and if I would need to do any other work in the forks to install this springs. I know that I must plug the upper fork caps to avoid leaks but I would like to know if any other work should be done.

This are the springs: http://www.progressivesuspension.com...ngs/index.html

What do you think? Can this be done so? Am I missing something?

Old 08-23-2012, 09:22 AM
rberni
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Javieret
Hi everybody,

I have a 1997 Road King FLHR which has the front fork air assisted suspension that Harley used in that years. As this suspension gives me a lot of troubles like air loosing, etc. I would like to eliminate this system replacing it with a non air assisted system that works well and without troubles.

I've been looking for new springs in the Progressive Suspension site and it seems that I can put the Progressive 11-1131 fork springs (stock height, I don't want to go lower) in my 97 Road King and I would like to know if this is true and if I would need to do any other work in the forks to install this springs. I know that I must plug the upper fork caps to avoid leaks but I would like to know if any other work should be done.

This are the springs: http://www.progressivesuspension.com...ngs/index.html

What do you think? Can this be done so? Am I missing something?
Interested as well, my 2001 has been leaking air and damaged my newly painted front fender. It holds it about a week or so but slowly leaks out.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:08 AM
Javieret
Tourer

I've contacted with the Progressive Suspension customer service and this is what they have answered me:

"Javi, the only other work or parts you would need is to change the fork oil."

So I've ordered the springs and will post the results of the change here.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:08 AM
rberni
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

Ok thanks man and good luck

Old 08-29-2012, 11:12 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

I would go with racetech springs with ricor intiminators. Much better than just progressive springs. Racetech springs and gold valves also a better choice.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:31 AM
Javieret
Tourer

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
I would go with racetech springs with ricor intiminators. Much better than just progressive springs. Racetech springs and gold valves also a better choice.
Well, my first job is just to remove the air lines and fittings that are leaking and as I live in Spain for me is a lot easier and faster to get the Progressive than the Racetech. Maybe later I'll go with the ricor intimidators as I've read a lot of possitive comments about them. Now I can't go with the intimidators (just a question of $$$) but I have them in my mind.

Thanks for your answer.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Javieret
Tourer

Finally I've done the job. I've installed the Progressive Springs, I've removed the front air lines and I'm very happy with the job done. I must say that is a great improvement and since now, I'll never have air leaks and I'll never have to fight with the air pump in the middle of a road trip.

For anyone who wants to do what I've done, I've put some pictures in my personal blog, where you can see it. I must say that as I'm from Spain, the blog is in Spanish, but I suppose that just looking at the pictures you'll understand the procedure.

As soon as I discover how to do it, I'll open a thread with the same pictures and will try to explain in English what I've done.

Here you can see how I've done it:

http://www.elcuelgamonos.com/?p=3786

If you have any questions about this, please let me know and I'll try to explain it better.