Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Engagement Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:11 PM
fxstc1999
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Engagement Question

I have a Barnett Scorpion clutch w/Muller power clutch in my 08 Streetglide. Clutch pack stackup measured the recommend height of 1.810". I gone through the correct procedure on adjusting the clutch but I want it to engage further away for the grip. To achieve this, would the clutch pushrod adjustment be more or less than (for example) 1/2 turn from being lighty seated? I figure it will be a combination of both the cable and clutch adjustments once I know which direction to go on the clutch-side.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:12 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I'd adjust the clutch exactly to spec.

then set the cable adjuster for your comfort.

if you were to try to "cheat" the clutch adjustment, you could be looking at partial engagement ( slipping) or grabbing when the clutch lever is pulled ( like at a stop)--- and this may change depending on hot/cold

Mike

Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

The Muller power clutch is stealing lever travel and making clutch adjustment more critical. It reduces lever effort by altering the rate of lift, as you operate the lever. So you may find that getting things just right requires a little effort. Otherwise Mike's advice is sound, fine tune via the cable.

I have a stronger Barnett clutch spring in my Glide and used a similar device to reduce lever effort. I eventually replaced my cable with a Diamondback and that improved things so much I removed my device and no longer use one. You might try that, if you can't get things quite right.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:43 AM
fxstc1999
Cruiser

Thanks for info on Muller. I'm also having the opposite problem (clutch engagement too far from grip) on my Softail which has the Muller too. What is special about the Diamondback cable to allow you to remove the easy clutch mechanism?

Old 08-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Daddio
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way it was explained to me, and it seems to work for me, is the tighter you make the adjuster screw the sooner/closer to your handgrip the clutch will start to engage. The more loose you make that adjuster screw, the farther out you clutch lever will be before the clutch starts to engage.
My own preferance is for the clutch to start grabbing after letting the lever out a short bit...maybe about 2 inches or less...so I tend to keep the adjuster screw on the snugger side...
works well for me, just my 2cents worth.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member

Originally Posted by fxstc1999
Thanks for info on Muller. I'm also having the opposite problem (clutch engagement too far from grip) on my Softail which has the Muller too. What is special about the Diamondback cable to allow you to remove the easy clutch mechanism?
From what I can make out it uses hi-tech materials inside, to reduce friction and pull effort. Whatever it is it works remarkably well! I read a recommendation from another owner somewhere, probably here on HDF and decided to try one.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:39 PM
fxstc1999
Cruiser

Daddio,

Your reply is opposite of another thread comment I read. That is why I'm confused. It would probably be a lot more obvious in the adjustment if I did not have the Muller power clutch to ease to clutch lever pull. grbrown's reply on the Muller gave me some insight but I'd still like to have a definite confirmation on the clutch pushrod adjustment to fudge either +/- the recommended 1/2 turn to get clutch engagement further from grip.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:18 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by fxstc1999
Daddio,

Your reply is opposite of another thread comment I read. That is why I'm confused. It would probably be a lot more obvious in the adjustment if I did not have the Muller power clutch to ease to clutch lever pull. grbrown's reply on the Muller gave me some insight but I'd still like to have a definite confirmation on the clutch pushrod adjustment to fudge either +/- the recommended 1/2 turn to get clutch engagement further from grip.
I suggest you try that by trial and error. There really is not a definitive reply, except what is written in the factory service manual (and any instructions that came with the Muller). Any change from that is down to fine tuning to suit your personal requirements. To get my Glide's clutch as I like it I adjust at the clutch as per the manual, but take out most of the cable slack.

It won't take long to try a few variations and ride round the block to try each one out!

Last edited by grbrown; 08-22-2012 at 03:54 PM.