Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting visit to the dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

When I purchased my 2009 Road King in May of 2009 the dealer was loaded with new bikes. they had them stored everywhere. They also had over a hundred used Harleys for sale.

I go to the dealer now and there inventory is probably 30% of what they had then and less then 20 used Harley's. I have a good friend that is a salesman there And he tells me they can't keep a new bike on the floor. there going out as fast as there coming in.

I guess the way the economy is people have come to believe that motorcycles are a good alternative to there gas guzzlers, even if most of them end up being garage queens.

It took me two years to get my Road King tailored to me. It's still not 100% perfect but it is in the 90% range and to be honest I don't know if I would want to go through the process of getting a new bike to fit me again. I sat on several new Harley touring bikes and they are no where near as comfortable as my modified Road King.

The only reason I'd even consider a new bike is the 103 motor verses my 96 and a 107 kit from Fuel Moto could easily resolve the issue.

So, unless I win the Mega Millions lottery I don't see a new bike in my future.

Maybe down the road there my be one for the wife just so i can get her off my back

Old 08-26-2012, 12:49 PM
molinoman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2012 Road Glide Ultra a little over two months ago, I've got the bike at about 95% the way I want it and have been enjoying it immensely.

My take on this is unless they come out with the 110 engine in the next or two or three or four years...I'm not interested in trading for basically the same bike year after year when they basically don't change from one year to the next other than maybe throwing a different paint color at you.

When I was reading the "breathlessly awaiting" the new 2013 roll out for, what was it last Monday or Tuesday (?) I was flat out cracking up at the level of eager anticipation shown by a lot of poster's (if it was some of you reading this...sorry...it was hilarious). Now if they would have come out with the 110 or even the 120 build in the new bikes then I would have been upset as I was pretty sure the 103 is going to be around for a number of years yet...but you never know.

My original thoughts on the original poster's wanting to trade in an '11 with only 5,000 miles was that it was high mileage for a lot of Harley riders but I have seen some Harley rider's with bikes with well over 100,000 miles on them so I know they are out there. Then he told his reasons and I guess they were good to him but I'm glad that a few suggestions were made, he took them to heart and now has the same bike but with more options...good for him.

Dennis

Old 08-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
Take your Tour Pak off. Free if you unbolt it, $450 for the quick disconnect kit.

Viola! Different bike.
Originally Posted by ultra_classic
Ditto, and you can put it back for the "princess" lol.... and you can add a Harley side car for the Baby too, all for less than the depreciation+loss on the 11
Originally Posted by Virus_1818
I agree with others. Just take off your lowers and tourpak for a completely different bike.
Originally Posted by JasonInAnnapolis
Very good advice...well from most of you. Last night I removed the tour pack and bracket....relocated the license plate.....and put on a black 8.5" Klock Werks windshield. Holy Sh*t what a different bike!!! Also noticed that I had let the air pressure in my suspension slip down to 15lbs (I'm 6'-4" 300lbs) so cranking it back up to 40lbs made it better. BTW....that freaking Klock Werks shield ROCKS!! I jumped out on the interstate last night and when I hit 70-80mph it felt like the front end was pinned to the ground. It startled me at first so I rolled off the throttle, then I remembered hearing one of you guys say that in another thread, so I kicked her in the *** again and got back up to speed and got used to the feeling. Loved it! Again, thanks for all of the great suggestions!!!
You did the right thing here, and saved some money and still have a rocking bike.
Now put some 12" Ape Hangers on, a solo seat and you won't believe how much sportier it will feel.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:49 PM
99%er
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My last three m/c's were bought from fellas like Jason that like to get something different every few years. Hell, my current 2011 RK I bought in Feb of this year for $15,000 and it had 730 miles on it and still under warranty.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Need to put few miles on your current bike and you can do so by visiting the dealership frequently but make sure you do it on your bike.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:16 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

A 2011 w/5k miles? You want a new bike?...heck, you got one.

chuck

Old 08-26-2012, 07:25 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,163 Likes on 12,217 Posts

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
If they offered you 19K in trade and you are serious about a new bike, you better not balk. I'm surprised they offered that much.

You guys that buy new cars and bikes every two years have issues. Being that fickle means you are going to take it in the shorts every time.

Shakey
What he said.