Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting visit to the dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 04:01 PM
billybud
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley is pretty good about making you want to trade...the 13's aren't yet "it" if you have a 2011.

When the 2008 SG's came out...I had to trade up...the features were to much to pass on...

Bigger motor than my 88", ABS brakes, 6 gallon tank, 6 speed, cush drive, proximity security fob, etc.

Than the 2011 SG caught my eye with the 103 and better cut transmission gearing and SE compensator...

The 2013's don't have enough technological change from the 2011's to tempt me....thankfully

Old 08-21-2012, 04:02 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Neckball
What would you pay for a 2011 Ultra Limited with 5K miles?
Exactly! Good question.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:07 PM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonInAnnapolis
My life has changed in the last year. Wifey and I bought the bike to replace the Road King that hurt her sweet little princess @ss. So we got the Ultra to tour the country. Literally 2 weeks later life hit.....preggo! Now our son is 6 months old and she hasn't ridden in over a year. And my days of overnighters are all but gone. So I just want to be able to throw a leg over and raise hell for a few hours here and there....and I don't think I need a $25k bike in the garage to do so. so I was simply looking to downgrade a little.
So i'm confused... WHAT do you WANT? If you're looking to downgrade a little, you aren't chasing a new color...you lookiing for a different bike !
So from what he offered you you could MAYBE try to work a swap on a Street Glide or maybe a Road Glide Custom or even a Road King....which you had before so that might be a good option..
If i were you, and you REALLY wanna get a different bike, i'd look into somehting you would be happy working an even swap on... but again at that point i don't see your gain.
Going to a dealer and getting rid of your used bike for a new bike for less money sounds like a tough move..unless you take a BIG down grade.. but when you sit back and really look at the numbers is the differnce in the payment gonna be enough of a gain to take the sting out of the hit you're gonna take on your Ultra?
Delers are in business for one reason...to make money...off of YOU

Last edited by mike1158; 08-21-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,970 Likes on 19,387 Posts

I was thinkin' that $19,000 was a pretty generous offer from a dealer ... If I was serious about a new scooter ( and really you already have one ) I'd be considerin' that offer quite seriously ... just my.02 cents worth Brother!

Old 08-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Take your Tour Pak off. Free if you unbolt it, $450 for the quick disconnect kit.

Viola! Different bike.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:23 PM
HD101st
Tourer

19,000 is really good bargain but if you want to raise hell strip the tour pak and wind deflectors off and slam it probally alot cheaper. I just feel the more miles you and your bike share the stronger the bond between man and machine gets then it really gets hard to say goodbye.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:12 PM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonInAnnapolis
I went to the dealer last week to ponder a trade on the upcoming 2013's. Right out of the gate they told me I better jump on a '12 instead because the '13's will cost 6-8% more (doesn't seem to be true...anyone made a comparison?)...and also they only wanted to give me $19k for my 2011 Ultra Limited with 5k miles and upgrades. WHAT???? So much for Harley's holding their value. I know they have to tack a few grand on to resell it, but DAYUM. Anywhoooo....watch out guys and gals....seems like you could swing a better deal on the 12's ....unless you have to have the 110 Anniversary Model.
A 2011 with only 5k miles is still new. Why trade?

mikebaby

Old 08-21-2012, 07:32 PM
louie c
Tourer

What I love best about this site is that everybody has there own opinion. And that is great, but the bike that I picked was the bike I liked and the bike that suits my needs. So keep the comments coming as I will get on and ride.
And that's what it is all about.
RIDE SAFE AND RIDE SMART

Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
anyone who is chasing " the new model" will take it in the shorts.

no surprise.

"Holding value"- 20 years ago when production was 30,000 units and there were 2 year waiting lists. supply now can easily match demand.

so...

The way to realize value is to get a bike and use it, rather than looking to trade every couple of years- they hold all the cards in that game

Mike
I agree. No waiting list any more. But I sold my '10 FLHX with 26k+ miles on it last month for $17,500. So they do hold their value pretty well for a luxury item...

Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Maybe you could sell your bike outright while the price is high and miles low,
and then buy what you want when you decide what you want - outright!
No rush, you be da man!

Quick Reply: Interesting visit to the dealer.