Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strip down an RGU? anyone do this ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:51 AM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default strip down an RGU? anyone do this ?

ok so as usual the new models have my wheels turning... to be honest i've been looking at the RGU for quite a while, and the new colors are really talking to me... midnight pearl/ silver/ blue SWEET !

So my question is this, do any of you guys run your RGU stripped down ever?... no tour pack, lowers, etc. if so what is all involved? costs, etc.?

I think the RGU is THE BEST value in the line up, and honestly i would probably not use the RGU to full capacity most time and would like to run it more like a RG Custom..but for difference in price i think the RGU would be the way to go...

Thanks boys...be well...ride safe

Old 08-21-2012, 09:56 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,152 Likes on 12,213 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1158
if so what is all involved? costs, etc.?
It would be the same for an Ultra which I have - the biggest cost would be the removable tourpack rack which is over $500. Then add a Badlander (or equivilant) seat, and lower windshield.

If it were me I would buy the Custom, because I think it looks better, and add the tourpack and lowers (which can be had used).

Old 08-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

If you don't want all that extra crap, why buy it?

The Custom certainly looks better.

Shakey

Old 08-21-2012, 10:47 AM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a RGU, and ride without the tour pack all the time. I leave the lowers on....I like them. I did buy a 15" windsplitter when I bought it, after having tried the 9" windsplitter, and it looks good and I'm happy with everything about the ride. (anything lower than the 15" shield from Harley created FAR too much buffeting for me)

I agree....the Ultra is the best value if you ever plan on traveling. In addition, it's the most comfortable if you ever plan on traveling. While the Custom looks more sporty, the 12" rear shocks do not offer nearly the smooth ride that the 13" shocks do on the Ultra. I guess it's a moot point if you're going to sink a bunch of money into the "perfect" shock set-up after you buy whatever you settle upon, but after having been through all that with my Road King I decided early on that I wasn't going to go down that road. If you don't want to either, then the 13" on the Ultra will not leave you dissastified. My riding buddy bought a 2012 Custom a couple of months before I bought my Ultra, and he's really unhappy with the ride of his 12" shocks. Just something to think about, though I'm sure there will be plenty that dissent after reading my post.

The Ultra looks great with the tour pack off, and if you want to remove the lowers, I'm sure it'll look yet a touch more sporty. But unless you dump the back end, it''l never look quite like the Custom.

Last edited by gipper; 08-21-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 AM
buggin02
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Shakeydeal
If you don't want all that extra crap, why buy it?

The Custom certainly looks better.

Shakey

+1 for Shakey. The Custom looks better and why waste the money for stuff you aren't going to use.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:08 AM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been thinking about the same thing. I like they idea of having the tour pack and lowers when I want them but would like the option of removing them when I want to. I added up the cost of a RGU VS. RGC and the difference was $2400 with the options I wanted. I think you get alot for $2400.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:29 PM
mike1158
Road Master

I think the RGU is THE BEST value in the line up, and honestly i would probably not use the RGU to full capacity most time and would like to run it more like a RG Custom..but for difference in price i think the RGU would be the way to go...
ok now read carefully...
i didn't say i would NEVER use the tour-pak, lowers, etc.

i said Most of the time, BUT.......BUT ! when i do wanna gear up, getting the tour-pak, with back rest and rear speakers, lower fairings etc. for a total price difference of about $1500 to me seems like a fair deal

Old 08-21-2012, 02:24 PM
gipper
Road Master

ok now read carefully...
i didn't say i would NEVER use the tour-pak, lowers, etc.

i said Most of the time, BUT.......BUT ! when i do wanna gear up, getting the tour-pak, with back rest and rear speakers, lower fairings etc. for a total price difference of about $1500 to me seems like a fair deal
Mike: That's how I saw it, thus chose to go with the Ultra. Both beautiful bikes in my opinion; the Custom being a little more sporty, sleek looking, the Ultra being a better value to serve my total needs best.

Be sure and test ride them both. I HATED the shorter shield. The buffeting was unreal. Some like a lot of wind. I like a little, but I'm old!

Good luck in your decision making.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:46 PM
mike1158
Road Master

Originally Posted by gipper

Be sure and test ride them both. I HATED the shorter shield. The buffeting was unreal. Some like a lot of wind. I like a little, but I'm old!

Good luck in your decision making.
yeah..i know about the sheilds.. i actually rented a Roady Custom about 2 years ago.. and the stock windsheild was a joke...even for me and i'm only 5'6" once i hit 50mph it was like i was eating a wind sandwhich..

i noticed alot of dealers have all the different windsplitter shields available to swap out for a demo ride... probably one of the smartest things i've ever seen MOCO do... cuz it's amazing how much a $100 windshield can be the difference between riding a bike being miserable and enjoyable..

Thanks for your input man..

Old 08-21-2012, 04:51 PM
gipper
Road Master

yeah..i know about the sheilds.. i actually rented a Roady Custom about 2 years ago.. and the stock windsheild was a joke...even for me and i'm only 5'6" once i hit 50mph it was like i was eating a wind sandwhich..

i noticed alot of dealers have all the different windsplitter shields available to swap out for a demo ride... probably one of the smartest things i've ever seen MOCO do... cuz it's amazing how much a $100 windshield can be the difference between riding a bike being miserable and enjoyable..

Thanks for your input man..
LOL! I stand a towering 5'7" myself. You'd think that with our foreheads below the top of the fairing that we wouldn't have noticed so much buffeting, but I obviously wasn't alone!

I tested the 9", the 12", and the best was the 15" smoked.....for me.

Again, good luck!

Quick Reply: strip down an RGU? anyone do this ?