Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power commander problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 AM
00RKVT
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power commander problems

I have a 2000 RK with with stage 1 True duals and V&H slash cut mufflers. Over the weekend while on a trip the bike wouldnt start. We disconnected the powercommander and the bike fired right up and ran like a top. We finnish the weekend with no problems and had better fuel milage. Throttle response isnt as good as it was but can live with that. My question is, am I hurting anything by running without the PC III usb. My bike has the MM EFI. I dont want to buy another power commander. I was told I am safe and that the PC is for fine tuning and more power but just want to be sure. Thanks

Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 AM
stuart1270
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If I understand it correctly. Since you did the air cleaner and pipe mod the bike would run leaner which would make it run hotter. Not a good thing. I would still install fuel management. I.E. power commander or fuel pack from Vance & Hines.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:02 AM
BigD64
Tourer

It may be the ground plug on the PC. The biggest contact is the ground contact try twisting it a little with a pair of needle nose pliers. Then reinstall it and see if it fires up.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:23 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I would just put an XIED and call it a day. Then only reason Im running a PC is because I needed the timing retarded or I still would still be running the VIED I had in it before and since you dont have 02 sensors thats where I'd go. I would see if the PC can be warrantied, did it come on the bike or did you buy it new?

Old 08-20-2012, 09:36 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 854 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by 00RKVT
I have a 2000 RK with with stage 1 True duals and V&H slash cut mufflers. Over the weekend while on a trip the bike wouldnt start. We disconnected the powercommander and the bike fired right up and ran like a top. We finnish the weekend with no problems and had better fuel milage. Throttle response isnt as good as it was but can live with that. My question is, am I hurting anything by running without the PC III usb. My bike has the MM EFI. I dont want to buy another power commander. I was told I am safe and that the PC is for fine tuning and more power but just want to be sure. Thanks
The power commander is required to have a 100% perfect crank position sensor SIGNAL.
If the CRANK POSITION SENSOR SIGNAL is not perfect the power commander will have issues and your bike may not start..It can be hit or miss to start.
The sensor itself might be OK but a small nick, cut or slightly loose/bad connection would cause a problem..
Check and recheck the sensor, from motor remove, clean , re-install same sensor then follow wire to connector near battery and open/clean and make sure it is tight and reattach with zip ties then remove connector at ECM and clean both sides, re-clean and re-install...then if everything is good test with power commander...highly likely that something is loose and signal is weak....and make sure to run bike with power commander or you are running lean...once in a while the sensor is bad but it is more rare so do not waste money until all above is checked because a new sensor will do nothing for a dirty ecm connection.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:41 AM
MrHog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigD64
It may be the ground plug on the PC. The biggest contact is the ground contact try twisting it a little with a pair of needle nose pliers. Then reinstall it and see if it fires up.
Ditto! You were running leaner while the PC was disconnected, thus the better gas mileage, but decrease in performance. The key is to keep these motors running as cool as possible since they are air cooled. More fuel equals slightly cooler temps and that will help protect the motor. You want to use a tuner to richen the fuel, but you can go too much which is also not good.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:44 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 533 Posts

xied"s are not an option on pre 07, no 02 sensors to plug them into.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:32 PM
00RKVT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TUCCI
I would just put an XIED and call it a day. Then only reason Im running a PC is because I needed the timing retarded or I still would still be running the VIED I had in it before and since you dont have 02 sensors thats where I'd go. I would see if the PC can be warrantied, did it come on the bike or did you buy it new?
Not to sound
Stupid but what is a xied and vied. i bought the bike second hand with all this stuff on it. what are my options if i leave the pc disconnected? I'm not crazy about it and dont see much difference in power but the fuel milage is a lot better. with pc i was getting 30-35 and without I'm getting 45-48.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:40 PM
MrHog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any popping on decel or down shifting? That is a big difference in MPGs. Like mentioned earlier, I would be worried about running too lean and heat issues. You can put new spark plugs in and after running a few hundred miles, pull them and see if they are looking like the bike is running lean or not. You can post pictures of the plugs on here to get an answer if your are unsure.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:53 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 533 Posts

the power commander isn't whats killing milage ,its the map thats loaded in it,other options by cost,dealer download some like it it doesn't change much its designed for screaming eagle stuff.fuelpack v\h keeps it a secret on how to program it they don't tell what the switches do,power commander,only as good as the map u can have it dyno tuned only as good as the dyno operator,or run a canned map(get it from fuelmoto they have excelnt service and u can request milage map.there are many better tuners in higher price range but for a stg 1 i can't justify the money.

Quick Reply: Power commander problems