Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hang off in sweepers

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 04:27 PM
trispeed
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadWorrier
Trispeed, Daaang, you rocked that bike. thanks for that. What was that, maybe in the range of 500 lbs?

See, I'm beginning to think the technique has more effect when the rider mass and bike mass are towards a given ratio. I guess I gotta get a lot fatter to rock my RoadKing, eh? That's good an excuse as any.

try just shifting your weight up on the inside cheek. you don't need to move your leg out in any way. Just roll up on the inside cheek like you are "passing gas" I know you all know how to do that!! :-)

Old 08-20-2012, 05:13 PM
silent1
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Savino
I road raced a couple years at Loudon, NH. Sliding to the inside edge of the seat makes a big difference, but your feet need to be underneath you to pick up your weight. Can't do that with footboards or forward controls.
I had a girlfriend who used to hang off the inside of her sporty when we rode the twisties - I liked watching her tiny *** slide around when following her.
I used to race there too. Kinda miss it a little. But hanging off the seat does me no good on the RK (at least as far as I could tell). I was convinced after watching some other guys haul *** around corners, and they never moved off the seat. Some had tall ape hangers, and a few even kept their feet on the highway pegs the whole time.

I knew from that moment on that I needed to think differently when it came to riding the bagger compared to my sportbike.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:36 PM
H8crashin
Advanced

Ill shift off my seat and into a hard fast sweeper. Dont do it on every turn, just when I want to haul through a long turn-usually an exit ramp off highway. I can maintain a higher speed without dragging hard parts, which allows me accelerate harder in the turn. Not shifting my weight in a particular local turn, exit speed 70. Shifting off (hanging) exit speed 75-80.

im no racer, just like riding the hell out of my bikes.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:48 PM
roadWorrier
Advanced

Tested some more yesterday evening and a bit this morning.
This is definitely what I'll do now:
- never counterbalance again (weight on outside peg) in a fast turn
- at a bare minimum, sit inline with my bike
- continue practicing moving a cheek into the turn
- not bother trying to figure out how to hang off my sled

You know, my bike really does like having my fat *** into the turn. And all it takes is a cheek and a minor torso shift. No, really. Not only does it stand up a bit straighter (which is why I started researching this whole thing), but it just plain feels better. Maybe, like the Total Control book says, my suspension has a better chance of doing its job the more upright I can turn? Whatever. There's experts that can explain it. All I can do is observe what worked for me, and what I can work on doing better within my tolerance for risk.

Yep, I'll finish Total Control, and read Twist of the Wrist too. When I take my 2nd advanced rider class later this fall, I think I'll do better thanks to your input. Much obliged.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 PM
11rkc
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Too much hanging off

......AND THEN A QUICK RECOVERY!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just sold my ZZR1200, but I've ridden sport and cruiser for years. In my experience, hanging off a heavy cruiser does not have the same effect as hanging off a sport bike. "Body English" has very little effect on a 900 lb motorcycle. It's also very hard to ride on the ***** of your feet with forward footboards.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:19 AM
trispeed
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ZenGlide
Just sold my ZZR1200, but I've ridden sport and cruiser for years. In my experience, hanging off a heavy cruiser does not have the same effect as hanging off a sport bike. "Body English" has very little effect on a 900 lb motorcycle. It's also very hard to ride on the ***** of your feet with forward footboards.
you're missing the point; one can definitely increase the stability and decrease lean angle for a given speed by shifting your weight to the inside, just on the saddle. I don't think anyone was suggestion that actually 'hanging off' like on a sport bike was even possible. As you point out, you can't effectively weight the floorboards/ forward pegs. Shift your weight onto the inside 'cheek' and you'll note a significant difference.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:35 AM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by trispeed
you're missing the point; one can definitely increase the stability and decrease lean angle for a given speed by shifting your weight to the inside, just on the saddle. I don't think anyone was suggestion that actually 'hanging off' like on a sport bike was even possible. As you point out, you can't effectively weight the floorboards/ forward pegs. Shift your weight onto the inside 'cheek' and you'll note a significant difference.
I'll give it a try.