Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hang off in sweepers

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 10:37 AM
mkekid
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CHILLLS
ahhhhhh....bran new R1, very nice
Thanks. Ya, was very nice after the Vmax, but killed the wrists after any long rides.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,608 Likes on 983 Posts

I road raced a couple years at Loudon, NH. Sliding to the inside edge of the seat makes a big difference, but your feet need to be underneath you to pick up your weight. Can't do that with footboards or forward controls.
I had a girlfriend who used to hang off the inside of her sporty when we rode the twisties - I liked watching her tiny *** slide around when following her.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:52 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I've done track days on my sport bikes and used to ride my harleys pretty hard. While "hanging off" definitely increases cornering speed, even on a big Harley, it is very squidlike on the street. Riding over 70-80% on the street isn't leaving any/much room for idiots and/or hazards that pop up. Nearing 65 the sport bikes are gone but I still have a SM to play really slow racer with when I get the urge. While I don't really hang off, moving on the seat and/or weighting the pegs/boards does indeed make a real difference and is a good habit for everyone to master.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,165 Likes on 12,218 Posts

Too much hanging off

Old 08-20-2012, 11:47 AM
TURQ
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by roadWorrier
Do you ride BOTH Racing bikes and also Touring bikes? If so, how many of ya'll actually hang off your Touring Harley on sweepers?

Yes, I use counter steering. And no, I'm not talking about slow tight turns; I'm talking about higher speed curving turns, or what some folks refer to as 'sweepers'.

So, I'm reading "Total Control" by Lee Parks. And actually he makes sense to me. So I head out and try taking a curve with counterbalance, and then again sitting inline with the Road King, and then again with a butt cheek into the turn. I can't scientifically prove it, but it did seem to me my Road King didn't have to lean nearly a much when I put more of my body mass into the turn.

Now, that's where I chickened out. I did not feel comfortable going as far as hanging off the bike like GP racers do. It's just not natural to me, and I would need to invest a lot of time into learning how to do so. Also it seems to me it might be more awkward to do that on a Road King, than some of those racing bikes.

So, before I go off in a direction like that, I thought I would see if the more proficient riders in this forum actually do hang off a touring harley. I'm hoping there's folks here who ride both Racing bikes and also Touring bikes. Those are the folks that may have the info I'm looking for.
Thanks in advance.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE buy Twist of the Wrist 2 video by Keith Code! PLEASE! Then buy the book, then take a CSS class. It will answer questions about motorcycle riding that you didn't even know you had. my 2cents.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
You are confusing what the hands feel and what the front tire must do. True, the front tire must initially point away from the turn for only the first "hundredth of a second" to lean the bike into the turn. But after the bike starts to lean into the turn, the tire has to point torward the turn so the whole bike follows. I know the hands feels like they always turn opposite of the turn, but it only feels that way, the front wheel is pointed into the turn. The rear tire follows the front tire, so the front tire has to point into the turn.

Beary
That's a misconception that you shouldn't spread.

Counter steer means to steer in the direction opposite of the direction you want to turn. Put another way, push right to turn right. By pushing on the right handle bar you turn the front wheel to the left... "Counter Steer". If at anytime during a right turn you turn the front wheel to the right (push on the left handle bar) the bike will straighten up & begin to turn to the left. Try it, but in an open space & at a reasonable speed.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:16 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Hanging off is the standard today for sport riders, there were people like "Mike (The Bike) Hailwood" that rode a different style and for me on these big touring bikes I find it more applicable.

"Mike somehow got his bike to lean angles which were greater than his competitors could achieve, but he didn't hang off the bike like modern riders do. He was famous for wearing through the leather on his boots so far that he would grind his toes on the road, with bloody results."

Old 08-20-2012, 03:28 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

I ride both. I haven't really every had the desire to "drag a knee" on a touring bike. Different bikes for different purposes. If I feel the need to carve turns at high speed, I take the sport bike.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 08-20-2012, 04:24 PM
trispeed
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know for a fact that shifting your weight to the inside of the turn makes the bike more stable in addition to decreasing the lean angle necessary for a given speed. If you look at the video I posted at the track, I am keeping my knees in tight to avoid dragging them on the ground, those leathers don't have knee sliders. There is much to be gained by shifting your weight up on the inside 'cheek', if you will. Try it and see. You can do this with floorboards or forward controls; you don't don't need to try and put the weight on the feet as you would on a sport bike. The most stable (and fastest) way around a corner is with body weight steering and NO input on the bars. Light hands are the key to fast and safe cornering, bike do NOT like to be man- handled! :-) Reg Pridmore is 3 time AMA Superbike champ and holds numerous World Titles when he raced in his native England. His son Jason was World Endurance champ in addition to numerous AMA Supersport championships. Keith Code never won anything, FYI, but he talks a good game, I bought all his books and took some superbike schools to see what he was all about.
As for those crash photos, I'm sure they all are about entering a corner faster than they realized, panicked and either let off the gas or applied the brakes and lost the front or back, even though they probably could have made the turn with smooth inputs.
I've seen it so many times in person....:-( cheers!

Old 08-20-2012, 04:25 PM
trispeed
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ngshop
In ref. to 11rkc picture... the guy is for sure "countersteering". It is a great picture for the people who have a difficult time in their mind visuallizing countersteer.
he's NOT countersteering, he's crashing.

Quick Reply: hang off in sweepers