Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hang off in sweepers

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 07:43 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
"hang off? I'm so old I'm lucky to hang on, much less hang off.
Now that's funny right there.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:51 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinks
Let me see if I can clear some of this up. ALL turns are counter steering! You can't turn a motorcycle at any ride-able speed without counter steering. Doesn't matter if you "push steer", "pull steer", or any other thing you want to call it. The poor guy (& gal) in the picture "counter steered" till he drug enough metal to lift the rear tire. What he did after that was pretty much irrelevant.
Plus 2.

Counter steering on a 2 wheeled vehicle isn't an option. It's the only way a bike will counter act gyroscopic effect and lean. If you lean, you are counter steering whether you know it or not.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:18 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

OK folks, you can't beat physics. A bike has to be countersteered for it to turn, no choice. But countersteering doesn't mean the wheel is pointed in the oposite direction of the turn, the front wheel has to point in the same direction of the turn. It's physics and you can't get around that. The front wheel in the picture is turning the wrong way because he is in the middle of a crash.

And I agree with the poster who said tha hanging off on a 900lb on a bike doesn't help much like it does on a 450lb bike. Pushing on the peg or floorboard on these big bikes is more about hold your body stable as you ride through the turn.

Beary

Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 11rkc
I don't even want to think about what happened to her wrist when she tried to catch the weight of the bike, the guy and herself on those two little bones.....

Old 08-20-2012, 08:29 AM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinks
Let me see if I can clear some of this up. ALL turns are counter steering! You can't turn a motorcycle at any ride-able speed without counter steering. Doesn't matter if you "push steer", "pull steer", or any other thing you want to call it. The poor guy (& gal) in the picture "counter steered" till he drug enough metal to lift the rear tire. What he did after that was pretty much irrelevant.
True. You can't turn a motorcycle, at riding speed, by turning the wheel in the same direction.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:36 AM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

I ride an R6 and a RKC.

Completely different riding positions and styles, but the same basic geometry.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,165 Likes on 12,218 Posts

Originally Posted by trispeed
I don't counter- steer except for an evasive maneuver, as I learned from Reg Pridmore on the racetrack
The guy obviously knows what he is doing and has been schooled on the subject. I would be in the you must countersteer (at least to initiate the turn) camp, but I'll bet there's more to the story. I've seen video of guys riding no hands around the track, I think to demonstrate what trispeed is saying. I would be interesting in hearing about it.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by SamStone
True. You can't turn a motorcycle, at riding speed, by turning the wheel in the same direction.
You are confusing what the hands feel and what the front tire must do. True, the front tire must initially point away from the turn for only the first "hundredth of a second" to lean the bike into the turn. But after the bike starts to lean into the turn, the tire has to point torward the turn so the whole bike follows. I know the hands feels like they always turn opposite of the turn, but it only feels that way, the front wheel is pointed into the turn. The rear tire follows the front tire, so the front tire has to point into the turn.

Beary

Old 08-20-2012, 09:02 AM
CHILLLS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkekid
Nice 93'... Miss those day's too!
ahhhhhh....bran new R1, very nice

Old 08-20-2012, 09:05 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I had both at one time and kept riding my cruiser beyond its capabilities like your describing until I layed it down similar to the pics being shown and had to knock it off. I couldn't tone it down to the ability to the bike and eventually sold my Sport bike. If you keep trying to make a Touring bike do what it wasnt designed to do on winding roads, do your spouse a favor and dont take her along.....just ask the wife whose hand is reaching down and the road rash that ensued........its not real smart and your insurance is going to skyrocket. Not to mention your gonna get yourself killed.

Quick Reply: hang off in sweepers