Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hang off in sweepers

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 11:09 AM
redman2636
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still take my 600 track bike to the track every now and then. I've found that hanging off does me no good on my roadglide. I have to fight leaning too far as it is as I don't want to replace the lower heat shield on my dresser duals again. I think you'll find the aggressive techniques used on a sportbike are usually pretty awkward on a tourer. Just my opinion.Total control is a great read and knowledge is useful.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:09 AM
trispeed
Cruiser

I wouldn't say 'hang off' exactly but I absolutely shift my body to the inside and it make a huge difference,( I don't counter- steer except for an evasive maneuver, as I learned from Reg Pridmore on the racetrack)
It definitely gives you more ground clearance and I need it the way I like to ride. You can even make a subtle weight shift like just moving your weight to the inside "cheek"; that will make a significant difference in the stability of swift cornering. Here's a video of me being chased by Reg at The Streets of Willow. I;m shifting my weight very significantly but it looks very subtle as I am striving to be smooth. I also didn't counter- steer in any of these turns. Hand are VERY light on the bars at all times.

Last edited by trispeed; 08-19-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: .
Old 08-19-2012, 11:16 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you brought this up. I always thought it was a little too technical to discuss on this forum.
It works good if done properly and keeps the bike from vaulting in fast curves. (grabbing a peg or floor board and launching the rear wheel off the ground)

Old 08-19-2012, 11:26 AM
senna
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 11rkc
I see a lot of painfull road rash in their future.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:44 AM
ngshop
Road Master
Received 173 Likes on 77 Posts

In ref. to 11rkc picture... the guy is for sure "countersteering". It is a great picture for the people who have a difficult time in their mind visuallizing countersteer.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:01 PM
roadWorrier
Advanced

Trispeed, Daaang, you rocked that bike. thanks for that. What was that, maybe in the range of 500 lbs?

See, I'm beginning to think the technique has more effect when the rider mass and bike mass are towards a given ratio. I guess I gotta get a lot fatter to rock my RoadKing, eh? That's good an excuse as any.

Not to mention, I had a helluva time trying to figure out how to hang off without ending up like some of the pictures other members kindly submitted. they make the point.

So, at a minimum, I've learned from ya'll to stop counterbalancing on sweepers. But that idea about hanging the inside cheek into the turn and shifting my fat *** as much as I can do so safely, that kinda makes sense to me. I'll practice that.

And, no, I ain't doing stupid things like taking turns too fast. It's more for safety that I asked this question. I keep ending up on sweepers that have dirt or leaves just pop up around the turn. I haven't fallen yet. But I'm thinking that if I can take same turn, at the same [relatively] slower speeds I ride, but with the bike at a more upright angle, I should have less of a risk of sliding out.

So, thanks again to ya'll for the great input. There's no substitute for the experience ya'll freely share.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Grappa
Cruiser

Whew; bet she wears a jacket and gloves nowadays. If she still rides...! Feel bad for her, geeze..

Old 08-19-2012, 03:16 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,872 Likes on 9,333 Posts

Originally Posted by 11rkc
I don't know if he was counter steering so much as trying corrective steering, as the back of the bike kicked out to the left. Natural reaction, the same as in a car, is to steer in the direction of the skid.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:41 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,165 Likes on 12,218 Posts

I don't think there's any percentage in hanging off a 900 lb bike. The biggest limiting factor on our bikes (aside from the weight) is the limited clearance. I get that you understand that and hence the question but, my response is to focus more on a good line and speed entering the corner. Leave the *** hinging to the Ninja set. Just my 02 and ymmv.

Here's Cheryl and I. Same photographer and same road as the skinny chick that's about to have a bad day.

My last piece of advice - Stow the highway pegs.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Like this? Hanging off both sides at the same time. Turns, sweepers, straight lines.....

Quick Reply: hang off in sweepers