Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just shut off???

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:32 AM
PKS98S
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just shut off???

Bad day at work yesterday so got home and decided to ride to a local Bike Night to "ease the stress". Got 2 mile from home traveling on a local street at 45 MPH and the bike just shut down as if I hit the kill switch (actually thought I accidentally did). Coasted into someones driveway and, turned the ignition switch off and back on and the only thing I got was accessory power - no ignition, lights, etc. Tried the switch several times - nothing. Checked fuses - all good, by-passes the PC - no good, checked battery connections - nothing changed. Called AAA (that's the road hazard AAA) and 45 minutes later the tow truck showed up and took me back to the house. Since this just seemed to follow suit with the rest of the day I plugged the Battery Tender in and I called it quits for the day.

This morning, I was putting things back together to get the bike ready for the tow to the dealership and decided to just try the ignition switch. Damn thing turned right on. Turned it off and on 2 more times and started the bike right up. Shut it off... nothing again??? So now I'm leaning toward a bad ignition switch. Brought the battery to work and load tested it and it's fine. Heading to the delaership to pick up a new switch. Hopefully not a $100.00 parts swap???

Anyone have any thing like this that they could share their findings???

Old 08-17-2012, 11:39 AM
FutZ
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does that some times when trying to start. I give it a "jiggle" and watch for the radio to turn on. After that flick the run switch watch for engine light to go out and start her up. It feels like it is in ignition but there must be a switch down in there that isn't getting what it wants. I little jiggle works every time. I have not had it shut down while rolling though.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:41 AM
wheel752
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually a badd day....turns into a badd night....just after the sun goes down...
gremlins feed on money...

The following users liked this post:
Talontd (06-30-2024)
Old 08-17-2012, 11:51 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

year/model ?

early twin cams had a weak bracket for the tip over switch. it could leave the switch dangling on wires and do pretty much what you describe.

other common suspects:

worn ignition switch contacts- esp with "upgraded" high watt headlight bulbs

main circuit breaker

mike

Old 08-17-2012, 12:11 PM
PKS98S
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FutZ
Mine does that some times when trying to start. I give it a "jiggle" and watch for the radio to turn on. After that flick the run switch watch for engine light to go out and start her up. It feels like it is in ignition but there must be a switch down in there that isn't getting what it wants. I little jiggle works every time. I have not had it shut down while rolling though.
Thanks for the response FutZ. Believe me I tried the "jiggle" - both with the switch and after I got done pissing on the tire, but neither worked. When I turn the switch to on my radio does light up but nothing else.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:49 PM
rhlhamlet
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Check for codes. Your answer is probably right there. Could be something as simple as a system relay (about $10).

Old 08-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

I had a friends bike do that and the ignition switch was bad..I think it would get hot to the touch as well..

Old 08-17-2012, 01:50 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Ignition switch (happened to me) or... wasn't the main breaker known for overheating on the older twin cams? Do you still have the original 40 amp circuit breaker?

Last edited by stro1965; 08-17-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:23 PM
PKS98S
Cruiser

Originally Posted by stro1965
Ignition switch (happened to me) or... wasn't the main breaker known for overheating on the older twin cams? Do you still have the original 40 amp circuit breaker?
I do and I'm going to p-up a new one when I p-up the new ignition switch. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:25 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would check the connector to the ignition switch housing. Pull the outer fairing and radio. You'll see the connector directly under your handlebars. Vibration may have caused it to loosen up. Since it is having some things light up, I'm willing to bet it is not fully seated. Should be maybe a 15 minute check.

Quick Reply: Just shut off???