Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radio shack siren problem WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:35 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts
Default RE: radio shack siren problem WTF!

okay, went to the shack and got the siren, i got part number 273-079. it was about 5 bucks, supposed to be as loud or louder (120db) than the other one, 273-070 but a lot smaller. i couldn't find the delphi connector for sale anywhere, but what i did was take off the ecm mount, then pop the cap off the connector, jam the wires directly into the connector and then double stick tape the siren into the square spot where the hd one would go. then i put the cap back on which holds the wires snugly into place. put the ecm bracket back on, and 20 mins later, we're done.

yeah, okay, the hd one might be louder, but i went to the website and it does not give specs, but i think this is still gonna keep the casual tinkerer from ph*cking with my bike. yeah, if a pro wants it, he's gonna get it, but thats why i got insurance

Old 05-27-2007, 10:12 PM
tbone52
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drat[:@] I thought the forum search had found the Delphi part number I was looking for. O.K. Back to the search.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know it's an old thread but I didn't want to start a new one.

Is anybody else who has put the radio shack unit on disappointed with it's performance? I was hoping for something louder and longer than just the quick "beep".

Old 08-07-2007, 05:05 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

there are several different 'sirens' available from radio shack. i put one on my bike that fits in the same spot as the hd unit. it isn't very loud, but that could be due to being under the ecm. the one i put on my wife's bike is just a hair too tall to fit under the ecm, so it sticks out a little bit, it is much louder. funny thing, it also only cost 4 bucks.

if you're only getting a short beep out of it, you may have it connected wrong to. the only time you should get a short beep is arming, disarming, and the 'warning' after that, it should be screaming its head off.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:29 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Yeah, you might have it hooked up incorrectly. Mine's fairly loud and beeps many times if I set it off.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

Once the signals stop flashing it gets quiet, so it only lasts for a second or so. It's hooked up per the instructions above, so I don't know. But if radio shack makes different one I might have gotten the wrong one. It sounds great in the garage, but it a bar parking lot it wouldn't be hard to miss.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:15 PM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: BG Weasel

Once the signals stop flashing it gets quiet, so it only lasts for a second or so. It's hooked up per the instructions above, so I don't know. But if radio shack makes different one I might have gotten the wrong one. It sounds great in the garage, but it a bar parking lot it wouldn't be hard to miss.
When you "arm" the alarm you are only going to get a quick "chirp" and the blinkers on the dash will flash, same when you "disarm." When it is "armed" the red security key light will be flashing on your speedo or dash depending on the model. When it is armed when you throw a leg over and turn the ignition switch it will scream like a 3 year old at Wal Mart! It is real cool if you do it in a parking lot full of people. Ask me how I know.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:44 AM
reeac
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the step by step post https://www.hdforums.com/m_820390/tm.htm it worked for me.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:52 AM
trmn8r
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is the voltage output on the wires you hook the siren to? 12 volts? anyreason it can't be tied into the horn relay and just use the horn?

Old 08-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: skratch

the only time you should get a short beep is arming, disarming, and the 'warning' after that, it should be screaming its head off.
Lets say it's armed and you shake the bike and set the alarm off. About how many seconds would you guess that the siren lasts?

Quick Reply: radio shack siren problem WTF!