Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dropped the bike first day

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012 | 04:55 PM
72 svlhd
|
Advanced
Unhappy dropped the bike first day

Just traded my Fat Bob for a Street glide and dropped it the first day! I am 5-5 with a 26in. inseam 155lbs and I can't get my feet flat on the ground.I asked them to lower the shocks after I bought it and they said the shocks were none adjustable(unlike a dyna).Is there anyone else out there as small as me that have lowered the rear either by changing the shocks or by adding shock loweres and felt comfortable riding the bike. any advice is welcome. I am totally freaking out over this. P.S, Miraculously there was no damage to the bike.

Old 08-16-2012 | 05:01 PM
WestPalmBop
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 72 svlhd
Just traded my Fat Bob for a Street glide and dropped it the first day! I am 5-5 with a 26in. inseam 155lbs and I can't get my feet flat on the ground.I asked them to lower the shocks after I bought it and they said the shocks were none adjustable(unlike a dyna).Is there anyone else out there as small as me that have lowered the rear either by changing the shocks or by adding shock loweres and felt comfortable riding the bike. any advice is welcome. I am totally freaking out over this. P.S, Miraculously there was no damage to the bike.
They are wrong. You CAN lower it both front and back. You can also get a lower seat or have it customized to lower even more. There are a few shock options as well that someone will chime in on too I'm sure. You will be fine once you have it all set up for you. A pair of boots will help also if you don't have them already. I have a 28' inseam and needed a lowering kit.

Old 08-16-2012 | 05:01 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member

don't know about the shocks but how about a lower seat , and don't feel to bad about droping it ,we all do you just got it out of the way sooner , and glad there was no damage other than ego

Old 08-16-2012 | 05:02 PM
corys87l
Novice

Check out bitchinbaggers.com

Old 08-16-2012 | 05:12 PM
hill1970
Intermediate

I have a pair of lowering shocks that I am fixing to take off of my Street Glide and go back to the 12 inch stock shocks. The lowering shocks will lower your bike 1 inch. If you are interested in buying these used lowering shocks send me a PM and I will get you the details.

Old 08-16-2012 | 05:15 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

Having your feet planted firmly on the ground certainly helps. However, you have to keep in mind that a Street Glide is a whole different animal then the Bob. I hope you took a Street Glide out for a test ride before deciding to purchase one. Braking and braking procedures are different, turning and just about everything else about the Glide will be different and a new experience. They are great bikes, handle well and can do a U-Turn on a dime when the proper technique is used. However, I have seen it too many times. Guys who have ridden many years with no issues on Dynas, softails etc. decide its time for a touring bike and jump right on a new bike and have never ridden one. Your certainly not alone in dropping a bike right out of the gate, and more than likely it has nothing to do with your experience as a Biker in General. It has more to do with inexperience with a Touring bike. If I might suggest the Ride Like a Pro video. In many many cases it helps those new to touring bikes after the first viewing. And you can do it from the privacy of your home. Be careful until you become more familiar with your new bikes different handling characteristics! I'm sure many here will give you a ton of pointers for lowering the new bike so that you can at least have the confidence of your feet flat on the ground. Good Luck....

Old 08-16-2012 | 05:31 PM
patrikr
Cruiser

I'm 5'8 and had problems flat-footing my FLHXSE3 so I got a the 1" lowered Monokit from Progressive up front and the 2-2A Ohlins from Howard at Motorcycle Metal in the rear. They are 12" shocks but sags 1" so you end up at 11". Now I can comfortably flatfoot the bike and as previous posters have said, if you need to go lower you can change the seat as well.

Old 08-16-2012 | 05:43 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior

Lots of good suggestions on here so far, but the most important thing I learned was to be sure you look up and straight ahead when you stop. Simple suggestion from a forum member that made all the difference in the world for me. I'm not vertically challenged, just have very weak lower legs from an old back injury.

Old 08-16-2012 | 05:46 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior

You are too short to be riding a touring bike. The salesman should never have sold you one to begin with. Go back to a dyna or softail as you will never be comfortable riding it.

Old 08-16-2012 | 05:47 PM
blarg
Road Captain

you really can't lower the rear any more without tire rubbing and losing too much lean angle, but you CAN lower the front an 1".

Then, you can send your seat the Mean City Cycles for the low/narrow mod. Not only is the stock seat high, it's also wide. Narrowing the seat will keep your legs closer to the bike and that translates to better reach. I also got with HD Trail Boss boots. They have the highest heel and sole of any of the HD boots - I went 1 size bigger and put in some thick insoles with heal and arch supports to give me even more height.

If you want to spend some more money, the FBI drop seat will get you 3"+ of seat drop without sacrificing any suspension travel. It replaces the top frame member with a lower one, you end up having to relocate your ABS, battery and ECU (it's all part of the kit) and also your plastic side panels (which have to be painted to match your bike). The kit itself runs about $3500, and then you have to either install it or pay someone to install it for you, but that's probably the "ultimate" in lowering the seat without compromising the ride.

nice thing is that once you get yourself flat-footed the bike feels MUCH less top-heavy and daunting.

Quick Reply: dropped the bike first day