Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dropped the bike first day

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012 | 10:15 AM
72 svlhd
|
Advanced

Again thanks for positive advice and feedback! First off my girlfriend rides a 883 HUGGER and It is a good bike for her being a novice, I have had a few bikes starting with a BSA 650 LIGHTNING,73 Kawa Z1 900,72 Superglide I bought in High School and still own,08 FATBOB and now the SG so I have a little bit of experience.I think I may have applied the front brake with wheel turned so thanks for the heads up on that one(something I didn't know)and realize I need to get use to a different ride but I also want to be comfortable with the bike.Iv'e also been told that even though I am 5-5 and 55yrs old I am built like a brick **** house so I don't think strenth is the problem.That being said I am going for a ride today hopefully with better luck.

Old 08-17-2012 | 10:23 AM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain

all of my problems were when i was coming to a stop or stoped! Now I always look forward well ahead when coming to a stop - never look down - I always keep my front tire straight ahead - i do use the front brake with both of my legs down & ease into the stop - I also have a center stand but I always extened my side stand first before rolling the bike back on the center stand - But size does matter here but since i have taken the above steps I haven't dropped the bike once.

After 43 years of riding second seat, because of health issues my wife no longer rides but I also no longer take the grandkids or anyone for rides anymore. The last thing I want to do is hurt someone else - I'm not ready to quit riding - I still feel in complete control but I am a lot more careful then in years past - I know i'm not as young as I once was - Some folks can ride without issue into their 80's - I have a very good friend who is 69 & has a beautiful Goldwing - He told me the other day he thinks it's time to sell the bike - We have been riding together for over 40 years - It appears I'll get a few more years in, i just hope I know when it's time to hang it up & not get bull headed - it's just not fare to other folks

Old 08-17-2012 | 10:24 AM
trispeed
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
Perhaps to support their intended use of the bike - longer trips, touring, etc.
I had a 883 for a short while. Fun as heck to ride around town, but no fun after 80 miles or so.
I understand your point but I don't think that is an absolute. I had an 883 Custom and after putting on a windshield, sundowner seat and a rack that I used for a couple large bags, I toured the southwest on that thing and had a great time!
If I weighed 155 (I did in 5th grade, I think :-)) I would be all over a 1200 Sportster with some nice comfort add- ons. That would be faster than most any big- twin, as well. I had a 2007 1200c stage 1 and it was far quicker than a buddy's '07 Dyna (stock)
Sportsters are under- appreciated in my view!! :-)

Old 08-17-2012 | 10:36 AM
HD Jim
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 72 svlhd
Just traded my Fat Bob for a Street glide and dropped it the first day! I am 5-5 with a 26in. inseam 155lbs and I can't get my feet flat on the ground.I asked them to lower the shocks after I bought it and they said the shocks were none adjustable(unlike a dyna).Is there anyone else out there as small as me that have lowered the rear either by changing the shocks or by adding shock loweres and felt comfortable riding the bike. any advice is welcome. I am totally freaking out over this. P.S, Miraculously there was no damage to the bike.
I'm 5'6" and riding a 07 SG.

Installed a Burley Slammer Kit which lowered the front by 2" and then rear by 1".. with a reduced reach seat.. I can flat foot that heavy *** bike with no problems.

There are several different ways to lower your bike but the way I described works very well for me.

As for dropping your bike ? Glad little damage was done... I've done it LOL

Ride safe

Jim

Old 08-17-2012 | 10:36 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Been there done that....same with no damage

Old 08-17-2012 | 10:58 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain

Originally Posted by trispeed
Sportsters are under- appreciated in my view!! :-)
That is true and too many think it is a starter bike. It is simply HD's entry level bike, price-wise, not handling-wise.

Old 08-17-2012 | 11:32 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor

Don't beat yourself up. Its not if you'll drop it it's when, you just got your first out of the way. glad the bike was ok. Good luck and keep on trucking

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 08-17-2012 | 11:47 AM
Knightlimper
Advanced
Default Might just be your braking technique

Originally Posted by 72 svlhd
Again thanks for positive advice and feedback! First off my girlfriend rides a 883 HUGGER and It is a good bike for her being a novice, I have had a few bikes starting with a BSA 650 LIGHTNING,73 Kawa Z1 900,72 Superglide I bought in High School and still own,08 FATBOB and now the SG so I have a little bit of experience.I think I may have applied the front brake with wheel turned so thanks for the heads up on that one(something I didn't know)and realize I need to get use to a different ride but I also want to be comfortable with the bike.Iv'e also been told that even though I am 5-5 and 55yrs old I am built like a brick **** house so I don't think strenth is the problem.That being said I am going for a ride today hopefully with better luck.
I went from an '08 Heritage to the 2010 Limited, and I had to really change the way I brought the touring bike to a stop. I'm 5' 5", 29 inch inseam. With the stock suspension, I don't flatfoot the bike ALL the time, but I can always get at least one foot planted pretty solid.

On the Heritage, I could definitely flatfoot the bike, plus it didn't "feel" topheavy. When I brought the bike to a stop, say at an intersection, I could do it all with only the front brake most of the time. (Of course, on really slow speed maneuvers, I only used the rear brake.)

Moving up to the Limited was a BIG change. I put a Sundowner seat on and use thick soled boots to reach the ground. The weight of the fairing and tour pack make the Limited feel topheavy compared to the Heritage, and its a taller frame - like I said, I can't flatfoot it in ALL conditions, but I get enough of my feet down to feel steady. My wife has commented on how my legs, especially my calves, bulked up from the exercise of holding up and pushing back the Limited when getting out of a parking space.

Probably the biggest surprise for me was the change in braking, the heavy touring bike needs me to use both front and rear brakes to come to a controlled stop. Also, because of the extra weight and taller frame, I can't let the bike lean over as far as the Heritage, so until I got used to it I was a bit paranoid about it falling over.

Even so, I did drop the bike coming up to an intersection after riding it for 2 years. Wifey was with me, and I still swear that it was her waving her arms around and shifting her weight that did it. In reality, I let it lean a bit too far, and just couldn't hold it up. I did manage to ease it to the ground, so when Wifey stepped off she didn't even get a bruise. No damage to the bike or me, either.

So, my recommendation would be for you to get some combination of seat/boot that will let you get at least 1 foot solidly on the ground when you stop. Then, work on slow speed turns and normal stops. As mentioned before, the Ride Like a Pro video is really good for people with touring bikes.

Don't give up on yourself, this is one of those things you can do, if you really want to.

Old 08-17-2012 | 01:26 PM
pled55
Road Master
Default lower riding

may cost you about a grand but i put arnott air ride on mine
been happy ever since .they ride about like stock
also get the little gauge so you can find that sweet spot everytime
push button lower and pushbutton raise.simple
and 5 yr warranty. great company to work with should
you have any problems.

Old 08-17-2012 | 01:37 PM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider

I have a 30" inseam, and I ride a bagger. Too short? Phooey!
I got a reach seat, and it works for me. I met a fellow on a ferry trip that had thicker soles on the boots, and he narrowed his seat. Lots of people make lower seats.
I'm against lowering the bike, just because I prize handling on twisty roads. Take a look at some of the police course handling videos, on this site. Those guys aren't 6'2" anymore; they handle an unlowered bike. You'll be fine, and just take an extra riding course.

Quick Reply: dropped the bike first day