Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dropped the bike first day

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012 | 02:30 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

Your size may be only a psychological matter. I would bet that you dropped it when stopping or going very slow and applied the front brake with the front wheel not pointing straight ahead. Happens almost every time. The bike will fall in the direction the wheel is pointed when applying the front brake.

Old 08-17-2012 | 05:51 AM
bobg03
Road Master

It's good to see plenty of options for you, BUT I'm thinking the dealer was a douchebag for not getting it set up correctly for you right outta the gate.

Old 08-17-2012 | 06:22 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member

Glad there was no damage to the bike (or the rider). Can you get boot with a little more lift? You might also try a lower profile seat.

Old 08-17-2012 | 06:59 AM
CRocks
Road Master

JMHO, I'd change/lower the seat FIRST before changing the bikes suspension. My old insurance cos, AmFam, voided your policy if you lowered the bike. It does change the engineered handling characteristics of the bike. I've also seen many guys with elevated boots. Gives them a little lift on + off the bike. Course, out here in Amish country, we got plenty of carpenters + shoemakers too. Congrats on the new bike, glad it wasn't damaged.

Old 08-17-2012 | 08:42 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Old 08-17-2012 | 09:00 AM
bulkman2008
Tourer

I have been riding a good many years and used to really enjoy riding my softails , had a Fatboy then a Heritage and a Dyna before them . I traded up to a Ultra Limited last year and took a trip to Arkansas as we have done many times in the past , never have dropped any bike until that trip . I dropped the bike twice on that trip and another couple staying at the hotel we were staying at says , of I usually drop mine on every trip we take . I dont evr want to drop a bike especially with traffic in town , easy to get ran over and hurt bad so no I dont want to be on the list of I drop my bike sometimes . Since that trip back in April that bike stays parked and have gotten to where I am not into bikes as much as I once was and feel I never will again , unless I trade that big heavy bike off which I will lose money because all Harley is after is your money , bottom line . And the bike has been lowered front and back and my feet or flat on the ground , it`s just a big top heavy bike , comfortable on the hiwy but in the mountains riding slow in the curves and on a crowed city street I think it`s a killer for me .

Old 08-17-2012 | 09:09 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member

I will throw my $.02 in the ring as well on this one

FIRST - call Mean City Cycles - get the quickest appt you can, take your seat off and don't ride the bike until you get it back from them, talk to them about what you need out of the new seat, as low with comfort as possible and super narrow to allow your legs to get straight down, this will help

SECOND - get that little jiffy stand entender as one other member mentioned as that will help you with that part of the bike, your legs are short and not getting the stand all the way extended is a problem with short legs on these things b/c you have to get it around the floor boards

lastly - a bagger is way more top heavy then anything else in the HD line so you have to get comfy with where you can lean them to once you get lower on the bike

these are all inexpensive mods, less than $250 total I think and should get you close.

The more expensive options will be to get the front end lowered 1 in with a progresive kit or something.

The back does not have to be lowered, that is not where you are losing the height of the bike, it can be lowered YES, but lowering the front 1 in is way more helpful then getting 1/2 inch out of the rear

I do really think if you get your seat moded (don't buy a new seat first, do the mod, if it doesn't work you can sell your stock seat on the forum and get back the money you spent on it from MCC) you will see a tremendous difference right out of the gate

and don't think you have to be completely FLAT FOOTED, that is only something that has come up in the last few years, plenty of people are not completely flat footed on their baggers and have no trouble, but you do need a large portion of your foot on the ground, just not all of it

Old 08-17-2012 | 09:28 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain

At 5'7" with a 29" inseam I can understand your early frustration but with your inseam still 3" shorter than mine I have to admit you are in for some initial challenges.
In the last two years, I have had a 82 FLT, a 96 EG and now a 2006 EG. I dropped the 96 once and the 82 has fallen over, but not dropped. It is the tallest of the bikes I have owned and I installed a lowering kit on the front and went to 11.5 inch shocks on the back (13" originally"). What an improvement in usability and handling.
As to the EGs, a different seat or having your existing one "sculpted" would get you 1-1.5 inches perhaps. that will make a lot of difference. If that is not enough (provided you ride wearing thick-soled boots/shoes), then look into a lowering kit for front and rear. I don't believe you should lower one without the other.
In my case my 96 had been lowered. But I am sticking with stock height on my 2006.
Also, find a big wide open parking lot and practice low-speed maneuvers and emergency stops. Great confidence builders, they are.

Old 08-17-2012 | 09:33 AM
trispeed
Cruiser

why do smaller stature folks want to ride such a big bike?? If I were that size I would take advantage of the benefits of riding a smaller bike, easier handling, more efficient, less expensive, etc., etc. I've had MANY small bikes (and scooters, for that matter!) and if they are a better fit, they are a better choice...:-)

Old 08-17-2012 | 09:49 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain

Originally Posted by trispeed
why do smaller stature folks want to ride such a big bike?? If I were that size I would take advantage of the benefits of riding a smaller bike, easier handling, more efficient, less expensive, etc., etc. I've had MANY small bikes (and scooters, for that matter!) and if they are a better fit, they are a better choice...:-)
Perhaps to support their intended use of the bike - longer trips, touring, etc.
I had a 883 for a short while. Fun as heck to ride around town, but no fun after 80 miles or so.

Quick Reply: dropped the bike first day