Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dropped the bike first day

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012 | 09:21 PM
BackRoader
Road Master

29 inch inseam here and thick soled boots helped me.

Old 08-16-2012 | 09:40 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member

i have a 01EGC, im 5'8" with an almost 28" inseam,i cant get both feet flat.i have the brackets to lower the rear 1"(your rear shocks are already 1" lower). i had progressive 2" drop in the front when i first built it, it was real low and road great. but i didn't like how it stood up strait on the stand, and scraped on bumps on the road.they make a wedge to let it lean over more on the stand, and your a lot lighter then me, so you shouldn't bottom out.. the bike isn't too big for you, i have seen 5'tall old women riding ultras..

if you get the dropseat kit, and come to Ohio, i would be happy to put the kit on for you just so i could say i did one, and for a ride around the block after. always wanted to try one of them bikes out once..

don't feel too bad about dropping the bike, i dropped mine out of the truck the day i got it. luckily it was a salvage project bike, i didn't damage anything not already getting replaced.

Last edited by j1mmy; 08-16-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-16-2012 | 09:45 PM
Oldman47
Advanced

Ignore all of those nay sayers. If you like your bike, enjoy it. I am built completely wrong for my 2011 RGU but I don't care. My inseam is only 29 inches and my total height is a mere 5'10". By any standard I am too small for my bike. Rather than pay any attention to those dimensions I just go forward and enjoy my ride. The boots that I chose add about an inch to my reach at the heels and I have the needed strength to control my bike when it is not moving.
People like Checkers will try to discourage you, but anyone who can control a particular bike, even if it takes things like those boot heels, can truly enjoy their ride. That is what really counts in the long run. If you find that you can never enjoy the HD bike, not all is lost. Try looking at the 4 cylinder Yamaha "venture" bikes. I am presently selling mine since I can only afford one bike at a time but it is a great bike and gives you better power and reach than any HD will. I gave mine up solely because my better half insisted that I could not keep both bikes, not because I didn't enjoy it.

Last edited by Oldman47; 08-16-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-16-2012 | 09:52 PM
meyhem
Advanced

New in May, 1200 miles, only dropped 3 times..........so far. Luckily no seen damage, two my fault, the other not sure what happened.(Hopefully, this is the worst that will happen) 5'8", 29" inseam, am looking to narrow and lower seat.

How many door dings on your car?

Last edited by meyhem; 08-16-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-16-2012 | 10:06 PM
Oldman47
Advanced

3 times Mayhem?
I have put over 7000 of my miles on my 2011 RGU and have only dealt with one zero speed drop during the first week or so. I also have a tiny 29 inch inseam but have found that my FLTRU is easy to control and keep it upright. I was trying to do a full U turn on a local road and did not allow enough room for the turn when I dropped mine. I got mine late last October so have owned it a bit longer than you have.
It is possible to lower your ride but it is already lower than an Electra Glide of the same generation so do what you can to compensate first.

Old 08-16-2012 | 10:13 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior

Legend Air helps alot for you short fellas

Old 08-16-2012 | 10:15 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm not tall, but never had any problems standing with my bike, I have progressive monotubes -2" and bb 11-1/2 inch shocks, I lowered my bike because I like how it looks and handles.

Old 08-16-2012 | 10:19 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oldman47
3 times Mayhem?
I have put over 7000 of my miles on my 2011 RGU and have only dealt with one zero speed drop during the first week or so.
Hardly fair to compare.Never nice to make another rider feel bad, but comparing a fixed fairing to one that sits on the forks like Meyhems? Apples and oranges my friend. Go screw around in parking lots on a batwing. Just THINK about touching the front brakes at about zero. Then come back and talk yer ****. I'm yet to do it in the three years I've had a batwing but I sure would never give anyone a hard time about it. It's only b/c I've read in this forum about so many guys doing it that I haven't done it myself.

Old 08-16-2012 | 10:52 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tom Hudson
I'm not so sure i buy that one - Lot's of short folks ride touring bikes - Men & women - If what you said was true - BMW would go out of business - their bikes are really tall - I have seen gal's in the 5'2" range riding full dress 800 pound Goldwing's without issue.
I was at a local dealer parked next to a vertically challenged fellow who had recently purchased a 09 police bike. He had spent $800 on some rear shocks to get as low as possible and his seat was vinyl over 1/8" padding on a steel pan. He still was on his tippy toes trying to balance the thing and backing up was out of the question. This guy had put 120,000 miles on his heritage and loved it, but he was bound and determined to own a touring bike. I never saw him again but he wasn't a happy guy and I can't help but wonder why a person would try to make a machine of steel fit, rather than fit yourself to the machine. Touring bikes are nice but they aren't that much nicer and I own both.

Old 08-16-2012 | 11:22 PM
Sparky73
Tourer

Originally Posted by 72 svlhd
Thanks for everyones input. Trying to get out of this fairly cheap as I spent all my free cash to seal the deal.Just came from my brotherinlaws to sit on his Roadglide after he put on a badlander seat and blocks that lowered the stock shocks 1 in. (He's a little taller than me). On his bike I was flatfooted with sneakers on so with my riding boots I might even have a little bend in my legs. He dropped his within the first week before the alterations.We both dropped them almost stopped and because of a dip by the time my toe touched the ground it was to late the bike was already going over!Sorry for the long reading
All you need to have the same height as your BIL's RG is the badlander seat. Your shocks are already 1" shorter than his stockers. Easy fix!

Quick Reply: dropped the bike first day