Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dropped the bike first day

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012 | 05:49 PM
risuperglidecustomman
Road Master

Originally Posted by springer 03
You are too short to be riding a touring bike. The salesman should never have sold you one to begin with. Go back to a dyna or softail as you will never be comfortable riding it.
+1

Old 08-16-2012 | 05:53 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

^^^ ^^^

Old 08-16-2012 | 06:01 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

It ain't cheap but FBI Baggers makes a 3" drop seat. It's pretty involved. Changes the side panels as well. Then I guess if you needed more you could send the FBI seat in the kit to mean city.

Best of luck. I don't know how some of these shorter guys do it...

Old 08-16-2012 | 06:03 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by blarg
you really can't lower the rear any more without tire rubbing and losing too much lean angle, but you CAN lower the front an 1".
partially correct. you can order some shorter shocks from bitchinbaggers.com that will not rub the tire. you can go as low as 10-1/2''. sure, the ride is not going to be as nice, but you will be lower. anytime you lower, you will reduce lean angle, so that is correct.

look at the 2012 cvo roadglide seat. its pretty thin, but still has some comfort to it. might suffer after a couple of really long days, but for me, i have not found any discomfort after 236-300 mile rides.

Old 08-16-2012 | 06:09 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain

I'm taller then you are but I had a very difficult time with the side stand - My boot would slip off of it or i wouldn't get it extended all the way forward & bingo - down the bike would go - The jiffy stand extension took care of this issue for me - I haven't dropped the bike since installing it. Just something else you might want to look into. I'm on a Ultra - tom

Old 08-16-2012 | 06:13 PM
fat daddy
Road Master

Call Ron at bitchin baggers he will get your shocks set up for you and NO the rear tire won't rub, than you can have the front lowered and that will make a world of difference finally send your seat in to mean city cycles and have them to rework it to the super narrow one. As far as you being to short that's a bunch of bullshit from some idiots I have all these things done to my sg and it rides and handles wonderful. Just got back from Sturgis 4800 total miles and no problems . Good luck

Old 08-16-2012 | 06:13 PM
MontyD
Cruiser

Get a shorty seat for it. You can be lowered 2 to 3 inches. Hope this helps.

Old 08-16-2012 | 06:20 PM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm on my second SG and IMHO the number one best way to drop one is to grab some front brake in a slow speed turn. That devil will absolutely dive into the ground like it's possessed. Never got me but it's hernia city keeping it upright.

Old 08-16-2012 | 06:31 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member

Lowering the rear end makes it almost hard tail but you still have option to lower the front end and get a seat that fit you. I have a female friend who is only 5'3" rides 08 UC with front end lowered and SG rear shocks uses thicker sole boots so far over 40K miles only once laid it down.Experience and level of confidence has to do lot more then the actual weight or height of the bike. After putting 20K miles on it you will see how easy it is to handle the bike need to practice in some empty parking lot and no big deal if you laid it down there better then public street.

Old 08-16-2012 | 06:31 PM
Tom Hudson
Road Captain

Originally Posted by springer 03
You are too short to be riding a touring bike. The salesman should never have sold you one to begin with. Go back to a dyna or softail as you will never be comfortable riding it.
I'm not so sure i buy that one - Lot's of short folks ride touring bikes - Men & women - If what you said was true - BMW would go out of business - their bikes are really tall - I have seen gal's in the 5'2" range riding full dress 800 pound Goldwing's without issue.

Quick Reply: dropped the bike first day