Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack mount question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 03:12 PM
punisher660
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tour Pack mount question

So I am toying with an idea for a different kind of custom luggage mount. What I need to know is will the two-up tour pack mount work with the regular passenger sissy-bar/backrest attached.

I am hoping it will leave me with a flat platform in place of where the current luggage rack goes. Anyone know about this?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:15 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't think so..... unless you can change the laws of physics and make two solid objects occupy the same space at the same time.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Old 08-16-2012, 05:06 PM
punisher660
Banned

I wasn't sure how the tour pack mounted. I was hoping it just used the same mount points as the standard rack (first and second set of mounts on the 4 point harness).

I have seen some posts on here (can't find the post currently) where guys have bolted down a flat platform where they mounted coolers and such. I wanted to do something similar, but maintain the backrest.

I don't know if all Harleys are the same (I would assume so), but the Road King Classic backrest uses the top of the shocks for its forward mounting position, and the forward mounts of the 4 point harness.

The forward mount points are wide to accept both the backrest and luggage rack simultaneously.

The luggage rack mounts to the forward mount points and the rearward mount points of the 4 point harness.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:17 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member

OK, now I see. You just want the mount and not the tour pak. In that case, it looks like it will work. I should be just like putting on a rack.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:54 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter5074
OK, now I see. You just want the mount and not the tour pak. In that case, it looks like it will work. I should be just like putting on a rack.
Yes, if all he wants to do is use the tour pack "mount" it will work.
That will leave a nice flat surface behind the backrest.

But if you actually want to mount the tour pack to that mount, then you will have to leave the backrest off. As mentioned there isn't enough room for both of them

I have the four point mounting system, along with the back rest and tour pack for my Street glide.
I can go between the backrest or tour pack very easy, but can't use both at the same time.

You could also just use the detachable luggage rack and accomplish the same thing.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:59 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RollaMo
You could also just use the detachable luggage rack and accomplish the same thing.

The rack is only rated for 15 pounds. The tour-pak mount is rated way higher. His idea is much better..... and it's a flat surface......... and I just looked them up...... the 2 up tour-pak mount is actually less money......WIN WIN.

Last edited by shooter5074; 08-16-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:12 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter5074
The rack is only rated for 15 pounds. The tour-pak mount is rated way higher. His idea is much better..... and it's a flat surface......... and I just looked them up...... the 2 up tour-pak mount is actually less money......WIN WIN.
Yeah, I have to agree.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:20 PM
punisher660
Banned

I currently have the detachable luggage rack, and it works great. Last week me and the OL went to Sturgis (8 days) and we just didn't have enough storage room for clothes.

We had friends going in a motor home, and they packed an extra bag for us, but I don't want to have to be dependent on someone else again.

We use a T-Bag for our primary luggage, and our leathers/chaps take up both saddle bags. A single T-Bag for two people for an extended trip is just not enough. I'm not too interested in pulling a trailer either. The wife won't ride her own bike, and I don't seem able to train her to pack less stuff.

Next year we're riding hwy101 from Oregon down to SoCal, so packing room will be a necessity.

I'm thinking of building a mounting plate based on the tour-pack rack that will fit 2 T-bags comfortably. I'm not too worried about the weight as tour packs with additional luggage would weigh a lot more.

A few times per year, I do a ride with the guys and we camp off our bikes. I'm thinking about building something that could also be used to accommodate camping gear better than just the removable rack as well.

As long as the back rest fits with the tour pack mount (no tour pack box) it looks like this idea of mine might work out. I just wanted to be sure before spending $$ on a mount.

Last edited by punisher660; 08-16-2012 at 06:23 PM.