Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK Owners....Why add a batwing fairing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012 | 06:20 AM
Steve On 3
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RK Owners....Why add a batwing fairing?

Just a very curious question. I have several friends who tell me how great their RK is and why its superior to my Limited...lighter, more manueverable etc, best bike HD makes but then they added a batwing fairing, radio, speakers, cruise, tour pack, lowers and stuff. Doesn't that mean they have just converted to a EG standard? They only miss the cb and radio that changes volume.

I realize it can all be removed and mine can't but they don't ever remove thier stuff. BTW, I have ridden a RK and enjoyed it.I could see myself owning one as a second bike fo rwhen I wanted to get out and ride without a windshield.

But really, what gives with the aftermarket batwing fairings? You guys got fairing envy?

Old 08-16-2012 | 06:34 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Red N Gold
Just a very curious question. You guys got fairing envy?
NOPE!

Old 08-16-2012 | 06:42 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

I don't. I've never understood why anyone would want one. But that's just me.

I think you answered your own question though. The guys that buy a RK and then plastic it up will tell you that they did it that way for the option to remove the stuff (even if they don't).

Old 08-16-2012 | 07:07 AM
bmwbutch
Advanced
Default Maybe?

Maybe it's because of 2 days and 1.800 miles to Sturgis. Strip it down for the week, then 2 days and 1,800 miles home. Best of both worlds.

Old 08-16-2012 | 07:10 AM
nitrohound
Tourer

Originally Posted by bmwbutch
Maybe it's because of 2 days and 1.800 miles to Sturgis. Strip it down for the week, then 2 days and 1,800 miles home. Best of both worlds.
That's why I want one, and some tunes. Well haven't had 1800 mile trip YET

Old 08-16-2012 | 07:11 AM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member

Maybe because the RKs are paid off and they want versatility rather than buying a new bike?

Old 08-16-2012 | 07:12 AM
HalfFast
Road Warrior

I did mine because I like the convertibility of it. I rarely remove my fairing but do from time to time. I only use my tour pak on long trips.

Old 08-16-2012 | 07:26 AM
durtyburt
Tourer

Put a Memphis Shades batwing on mine couple yrs. back, like the look & better protection than standard windshield + cuts through the air better in my opinion. I do like to have option on being fairing free especially on hot days.

Old 08-16-2012 | 07:43 AM
MrHog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HalfFast
I did mine because I like the convertibility of it. I rarely remove my fairing but do from time to time. I only use my tour pak on long trips.
Same here. I haven't had my tour pack on all summer, but use it for road trips and when the wife rides. I also took the lowers off when it got hot this summer. When I am on a road trip or it starts to cool off this fall, they will be back on. I really like how my Road King looks stripped down, but also like when it is dressed up. Kind of a refreshing change once in awhile.

Old 08-16-2012 | 08:11 AM
Bait56
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by bmwbutch
I just rode from Maine to Sturgis and back; about 7K miles. I definately had fairing envy....

Quick Reply: RK Owners....Why add a batwing fairing?