Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK Owners....Why add a batwing fairing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012 | 09:26 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
The guys who claim they like the versatility of being able to quickly change from a fairing to a non fairing bike, and then post pics to prove it seem to post the same pictures over and over. Honestly, how often does the fairing come off some of those Road Kings?

When I first put a fairing on my bike, I did it for the tunes. I spend a lot of time on my bike, and wanted a little music while I was commuting to work, or on long rides. The first year I had the fairing, it went on and off the bike every week or so, mostly because I preferred the way the bike handled without it. The next year though, the fairing stayed on the bike, for most of the riding season, although it came off for the last half of July and a good bit of August. This year, it comes off mostly when I'm working on the bike.

I can take it off, (and can post some old pictures from last year to prove it ), but I rarely do anymore. I used to look at batwing bikes as geezer glides, and didn't even consider buying a street glide or e-glide because I didn't care for the look. Tastes change, now I think the batwing bikes are the best looking bikes in the Harley touring lineup.
Like Boogaloodude states and I admit my fairing is on most of the time. It pretty much only come off for major bike cleaning. I also added the lower fairings and a Classic Tour Pack. I prefer to ride without the tour pack but once you get use to the convenience of a tour pack it's hard to do without. The lower fairing are similar, the extra rain protection and not getting popped in the legs with stones and bugs makes the ride that much more enjoyable not to mention the cup holder.

My Wife asked when I was going to add an intercom. I said never. I have to listen to you at home enough.

No it's not an Ultra. But It's has every part of an Ultra I want. Plus it is so comfortable the way I have it set up there’s almost no way an Ultra could replace it without doing major modifications to an Ultra.

Old 08-21-2012 | 01:13 PM
OldCannon
1st Gear

I have to admit that a fairing is something I would consider in the near future. At 80-85 MPH, the buffeting I get on my RK is pretty crazy. Lots of other "wants" on my list ahead of a fairing though.

Old 08-21-2012 | 05:36 PM
tallj2000
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Dead Center Cycles
Even with the mini apes you may be okay. We run 12.5 wild ones, on our Road King, and still get a good amount of protection. You can kinda see that illustrated in my signature. The fairing plows through the wind, giving you a little wiggle room when it comes to the height of your bars. Much taller than what we have there, and you will definitely catch a bit more wind.
Thats good information for me. Those are the bars I want.