Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK Owners....Why add a batwing fairing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012 | 03:10 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master

+1 I don't like the windshild either but it is a necessary evil on occasion. i have only ridden a street glide once for about 50 miles and did not like the heavy clunky front end. I'm sure it probably had more to do with me just not knowing the bike real well because everyone I know that has one loves their SG. My brother used to tease me that only old men had bikes with bags on them....until he traded his softail on the SG. Now I tell him only p--sy's have radios....Then I went and bought speaker to mount on my crash bar

Old 08-16-2012 | 03:58 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor

my vote is for versatility. It's nice to be able to have either at hand without switching a bike

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 08-16-2012 | 04:27 PM
fightingmajor
Tourer

I can see why people would do this. It's like having a Road King and a Street Glide without having to pay all of the money for two bikes. At the end of the day, the bike you purchase is your own to do whatever you want with. It doesn't have to impress anyone other than yourself. Nothing wrong with wanting to be different.

Old 08-17-2012 | 05:24 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1
my vote is for versatility. It's nice to be able to have either at hand without switching a bike
Long Ride Shields should offer a batwing-shaped windshield that uses your replacement batwing shields and make them in various shades including clear

Old 08-17-2012 | 07:13 PM
sloans4x4
Cruiser

For me it was the fact I could tak th windshield off my RK. I wantd th SG real bad, but spent ALOT less money for the RK. I do still have some SG envy, but at the end of the day like my RK. Took the windshield off and rode to work 1 day, put it back on that night when I got home and havent removed it since except to clean. I should be getting my Kenny Day fairing any day and will have it and my windshield to run whenever my mood wants a fairing or shield. As for tunes, I still think they would be nice and have yet to ride with my IPOD and earbuds, but will some day to see if I like it. Also someday when I find a smokin deal I would like to have a QD tour pack.

So really to me its no different than seats. I have 2 now and want at least 2 more. I have a big soft cushy touring seat, and then a real low profile badlander. And I want a nice 2 up seat that isnt quite so big and cushy, and then I'd like to have a sweet SOLO seat. Looking for some lowers as well for the days when it starts getting colder.

Shane

Old 08-17-2012 | 08:35 PM
Blue Duck
Road Master

You can do this, this, and this.

Attached Thumbnails RK Owners....Why add a batwing fairing?-dsc_0084.jpg   RK Owners....Why add a batwing fairing?-dscn0715.jpg   RK Owners....Why add a batwing fairing?-dscn0776.jpg  
Old 08-17-2012 | 08:54 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member

Test rode a Street Glide at Sturgis. I didn't think I would make it back while returning on the highway. My head shook so bad I couldn't see, at 70mph. I'll stick to my windshield. I've never missed hearing music on a bike. The wind and the rumble is all I need.

Last edited by SamStone; 08-17-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-19-2012 | 10:30 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member

The guys who claim they like the versatility of being able to quickly change from a fairing to a non fairing bike, and then post pics to prove it seem to post the same pictures over and over. Honestly, how often does the fairing come off some of those Road Kings?

When I first put a fairing on my bike, I did it for the tunes. I spend a lot of time on my bike, and wanted a little music while I was commuting to work, or on long rides. The first year I had the fairing, it went on and off the bike every week or so, mostly because I preferred the way the bike handled without it. The next year though, the fairing stayed on the bike, for most of the riding season, although it came off for the last half of July and a good bit of August. This year, it comes off mostly when I'm working on the bike.

I can take it off, (and can post some old pictures from last year to prove it ), but I rarely do anymore. I used to look at batwing bikes as geezer glides, and didn't even consider buying a street glide or e-glide because I didn't care for the look. Tastes change, now I think the batwing bikes are the best looking bikes in the Harley touring lineup.

Old 08-20-2012 | 04:57 AM
Steve On 3
|
Outstanding HDF Member

This has to be about the most civil thread on here. Almost everyone mentions versatility. I can understand that. There are times I would not mind being without fairing or windshield, like a good mountain rd. Just being in the wind. And then touring with the tunes. Something to think about.

Old 08-20-2012 | 07:05 AM
NELS
Road Master

"10 RK was demoed on the floor with the MS Batwing so I had them throw that into the deal. Installed a tri-pouch for extra storage . Rarely change back to the full shield . When I want air and speed I ride my Dyna. No radio for me, as someone stated just the wind and sounds of the bike are enough.

Quick Reply: RK Owners....Why add a batwing fairing?