Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK Owners....Why add a batwing fairing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012 | 11:05 AM
Steve On 3
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Very good info. Thanks for clearing it up for me. I had suspected it might be for convertibility but my riding buddies don't take theirs off. I do like the classic look of the King and can appreciate the feel of the wind minus the windshield or fairing. Thanks for clearing it up for me

Old 08-16-2012 | 11:42 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior

Having a batwing (or sharknose) 100% of the time does not appeal to me, so the RK is my choice hands down!

But on some of those cold days in the early spring and late fall it would be nice to clip a batwing on. It would be an expensive add on for something I would only use sparingly, but maybe someday.

Last edited by dswansbiker; 08-16-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-16-2012 | 12:33 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior

I'm not a rich man, and like many I work hard for ever dollar I make. MSRP on my 2009 King was $16,995.00 and this was the most bike I could afford at the time.

But with a little work, a little horse trading and some thought my Road King is the best of all worlds. I can easily go from stripped down street cruiser to a long hall marvel almost as quick as I can change my mind.

And the best thing of all it will be paid for in another 8 months.

Old 08-16-2012 | 01:10 PM
6speed51
Road Captain

I put a Woodeys fairing on mine and never take it off, like it a lot better than a windshield, also have a tour-pak that is removable. Really like my set up.The best thing about my Road King is it's paid for and runs great.

Old 08-16-2012 | 01:10 PM
Thickraybans
Cruiser

My bike gets a lot of attention when I ride without the bat wing on. When I want to go stealth, I put it on. It's like the bike becomes just another motorcycle on the road, no one gives a second look.

Old 08-16-2012 | 01:30 PM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member

some nice looking bikes in here

Old 08-16-2012 | 01:40 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Glockmeister
some nice looking bikes in here
Ditto

Beary

Old 08-16-2012 | 01:42 PM
2004Sierra
Road Master

I like having the ability to run my bike three different ways.

No shield, RK Shield, or Fairing.

Attached Thumbnails RK Owners....Why add a batwing fairing?-100_0180.jpg   RK Owners....Why add a batwing fairing?-fairing-pics-013.jpg  
Old 08-16-2012 | 01:49 PM
MadIrish
Tourer

I bought a Road King because I thought it was all that I wanted. Coming from a shieldless bike, just having the windshield was pretty awesome...no more getting the snot beaten out of me on the highway runs. I wanted to be able to whip the screen off on the hot days.

I found shortly that I never took the windshield off and I began to wish for tunes for the longer rides. I did have SG envy....but I was unwilling to spend the money on an SG to begin with. Besides, I did not like all the styling cues of the SG and the lowered suspension. I much prefer the far more visible brake and turn signal lamps on the RK.....riding behind my buddy with the SG, I can't believe he hasn't been rear ended yet.

Putting a Woody's aftermarket fairing on was the best of both worlds for me. I rarely take it off, but I can if I want to, and I can take it with me to my next RK if that's what i get. In the end it was still a lot cheaper than upgrading to the SG.

I don't have a tourpak, but will when I save up some cash....and it'll come off when i don't need it.

Old 08-16-2012 | 02:08 PM
agueybana
Road Master

Originally Posted by Domestic Violence
Maybe because the RKs are paid off and they want versatility rather than buying a new bike?

Quick Reply: RK Owners....Why add a batwing fairing?