Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK Owners....Why add a batwing fairing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012 | 08:20 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Red N Gold
Just a very curious question. I have several friends who tell me how great their RK is and why its superior to my Limited

I've had a RK,and now a Limited. I can say without a doubt,no effing way.

Old 08-16-2012 | 08:29 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Your friends may envious of your Limited. I know I'm not. My best bud has one and it's not for me.

I have the detachable and it is only on about 10% of the time. Versitility is the answer for this cat. It gets pretty cold here in MN and I ride until we have icy or salty roads, and it provides noticable protection on my hands when I use it. But I much prefer the windshield.

Also in riding across SD to the Black Hills the tunes do come in handy.

Old 08-16-2012 | 08:57 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by Red N Gold
Just a very curious question. Yada yada ... what gives with the aftermarket batwing fairings? yada yada
I think they just fobbed up and should have gotten some form of Electra Glide. jmtc

The QD parts are mostly unnecessary other than easy take off for service. i got a QD tour pak and never took it off. It's too handy to have. ymmv

Old 08-16-2012 | 09:14 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Versatility I suppose and from what Im told the suspension is lowered on the SG, I dont know.

Old 08-16-2012 | 09:28 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member

I can see the attractions of a fairing - anyone who rides in cold weather can!

Personally, I don't really like the look of the batwing. Without it, the touring bikes (i.e. the Road King) look properly... motorcycle-y.

Old 08-16-2012 | 09:33 AM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member

Never did see the purpose in phuking up a perfectly good motorcycle. Heated gear beats hell out of any fairy,er,I mean,fairing.

Old 08-16-2012 | 09:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member

My Glide was pretty well the same as an RK when new. What I found was that the stock windshield was a nuisance, causing a slight oscillation of the bars as air spilled first off one side then the other. I tried alternative tyres and altered the shield around back and forth, up and down, but couldn't cure the problem.

Changed to a batwing and problem solved. Now only power or the lack of it holds up progress. No going back as far as I'm concerned, but I have owned the bike from new and we get along fine now!

Old 08-16-2012 | 09:47 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member

When I had a RKC, I considered the idea of getting a batwing fairing, but instead traded for a SG.

Functionally, I would only miss the cold air being blocked from my hands if I went back to a RK. The weight and rough air of the batwing makes the ride more uncomfortable.

Aesthetically however, I have no desire to go back to a RK because I like the looks of the SG more.

Beary

Old 08-16-2012 | 10:10 AM
swamperca
Cruiser

I put one on my 96 King just to see if I liked riding with the wing. I do like the protection of it and started thinking about a new 12 Classic. Went and rode a new Classic and found that the steering is much heavier than my King with the fairing, also read here so many complaints about the newer bikes that I decided to just keep riding my original King with the Wing on it. I never rode with the Windshield because of the buffeting, and I tried numerous heights. As for the Tour Pack I have the Quick Attachment hardware and recently have taken it off the bike to save weight (52lbs.), I ride solo, always.

Old 08-16-2012 | 10:58 AM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior

I don't even like having to use my windshield, let alone having a big plastic fairing on. Only thing I'd like would be some good music without earbuds on the longer rides.

Quick Reply: RK Owners....Why add a batwing fairing?