Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:14 PM
FLHX renegade
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advise

Hello all, I am new to this site. I recently purchase a 2007 street glide. This bike came with 18 inch wheel on the rear, and stock Harley air shocks. I had a hard time touching the ground since I am only 5'6". I thought the best thing to do was to have it lowered, but that is not working out for me. Ever since I got the bike back it bottoms out on the rear fender just with me on it, but I put almost 35 lbs of air and tried to take my girlfriend for a ride and it was bad news. Now I have the bike at a local bike shop and they are trying to tell me an actual air bag suspension is the best way to go. What do you think? I don't have problem spending the money if that's what has to be done, but just wondered if this is the best option!!!! THANKS.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

18" rear wheel? It came with 16", I think if it really has an 18" rear wheel thats your problem right there, get a 16" wheel first and go from there.

And welcome, from Michigan

Old 08-15-2012, 05:23 PM
FLHX renegade
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is what I thought, but they told me that it is very common to put that size wheel on this bike.
I would hate to have to replace the wheel because it matches the front and to get another one would
Cost to much, by the time I buy a wheel and tire.

Last edited by FLHX renegade; 08-15-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLHX renegade
Hello all, I am new to this site. I recently purchase a 2007 street glide. This bike came with 18 inch wheel on the rear, and stock Harley air shocks. I had a hard time touching the ground since I am only 5'6". I thought the best thing to do was to have it lowered, but that is not working out for me. Ever since I got the bike back it bottoms out on the rear fender just with me on it, but I put almost 35 lbs of air and tried to take my girlfriend for a ride and it was bad news. Now I have the bike at a local bike shop and they are trying to tell me an actual air bag suspension is the best way to go. What do you think? I don't have problem spending the money if that's what has to be done, but just wondered if this is the best option!!!! THANKS.
The stock Street Glide suspension only has 2 inches of travel, which leaves a lot of people unhappy with regards to ride quality. You didn't say what was done to lower your suspension. Adjustable air ride suspensions can produce a good ride. I've never owned one but i've read a lot of favorable reports. What type of air ride system are they recommeding?

Old 08-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHX renegade
That is what I thought, but they told me that it is very common to put that size wheel on this bike!
Well, its a non-point, I think its nutty to spend a ton of money lowering a bike with an 18" rear wheel, and have a crappy ride as a result.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master

Originally Posted by Keithhu
18" rear wheel? It came with 16", I think if it really has an 18" rear wheel thats your problem right there, get a 16" wheel first and go from there.

And welcome, from Michigan
Most of the time, they install a thinner tire so you wind up with the same diameter overall. However, the thinner tire does affect the ride quality.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 07 SG & the stock wheels are 16". If you do have an 18" rear & if it has the same diameter tire are the 16" (stock is MU85B-16) does then it should be sitting level. Try measuring the frame clearance to the floor, the stock SG setting has the rear about 1" closer to the floor for a SG. You need to find out what you have before throwing money at it...air bag suspensions are expensive & may not be needed.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:32 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

you left the 18" tire and stock shocks and added a lowering kit to the back, correct? First off I believe your bike has a cable of wires inside fender and rubbing through them will increase your grief more than right now. remove lowering kit to start with. stock tire size is 16? Look at seat options and add thickness to your boots.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master

As mentioned, i would take the lowering kit off...most of them suck as far as ride quality. Look at replacing the stock shocks with some quality shock....Progressive, Ohlins, or HD premium. With you height, you'll also need to lower your seat height. There are plenty of options to do this. I would recommend Mean City Cycles. The adjustable air ride system you mentioned may also work for you, but usually a very expensive upgrade.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:59 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Welcome to the forum......try to restore the bike back to stock condition. Did they tell you the bike had a taller tire on it when you looked at it?

Quick Reply: Need some advise