Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12 FLHR bar question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:51 AM
dynacop25
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 12 FLHR bar question

Hey y'all I picked up my new FLHR last week and I wish I would have done it sooner however I am having one issue. I am about 5'8" and after riding for an hour or two my right hand goes numb and I get a pain between my shoulder blades. I have read that changing the bars can remedy this but I am not sure which bars to look at, any input from those who have experienced this would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-15-2012, 07:56 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

I am 5'8". I rotated the bars down slightly until comfortable. If i decide to change (doubt it) then ill go with the heritage softail bars. Actually, the moco has been putting them on cop bikes for quite awhile.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:58 AM
2ropes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the most agonizing decision you will make... I'm still struggling with the decision because ,like everyone, I want to get it correct the first time. That frequently does not happen though from what I have read!

There are a TON of posts on here about bars and I suggest you start searching and reading them because there are bits of information everwhere. When you read something that strikes your interest subscribe to the thread so you can find it again and maybe even keep a notepad handy and make some notes. I wish I would have done this because now I'm going back through all the posts looking for something I have read before about tricks to do or not do when you actually get around to changing your bars.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:08 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

I went with the Heritage style bars. Combined with a seat change (Sundowner) it brought me back to a more relaxed, not leaning forward, seated position. The Heritage style bars don't require any cable or line changes and are the least expensive route to go.

As far as getting it right the first time, good luck with that! Here I am 2 years later considering apes. I went from leaning forward to sitting upright and think that being able to sit back more would be even more comfortable.

Last edited by jeffreydsilver; 08-15-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:12 AM
pup
Advanced

Here's mine with the heritage style bars.

Attached Thumbnails 12 FLHR bar question-roadking.jpg  
Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 AM
aces25
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was looking at apes, but it looks like heritage bars will be in my future due to funds. If you try them and don't like them, you can always take them off and sell them for minimal loss since no cable changes are required.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:44 AM
HDRoadking_nc
Tourer

Same here, going to change out my bars for the heritage bars next week.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Im 5-8" also and tried the Heritage style bar and it wasnt enough, ended up having to go up with a 14" ape to get a real comfortable position. Do a search on the topic as there's many thread on the subject.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:18 AM
dynacop25
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the replies thus far... What sort of change in position am I looking at by going with the heritage bars

Old 08-15-2012, 11:47 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
I went with the Heritage style bars. Combined with a seat change (Sundowner) it brought me back to a more relaxed, not leaning forward, seated position. The Heritage style bars don't require any cable or line changes and are the least expensive route to go.

As far as getting it right the first time, good luck with that! Here I am 2 years later considering apes. I went from leaning forward to sitting upright and think that being able to sit back more would be even more comfortable.
I installed Heritage-style also, with a TallBoy seat. I rotated them back and they are very comfortable.

Last edited by TKDKurt; 08-15-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Quick Reply: 12 FLHR bar question