Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Kings with Tunes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:42 AM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Road Kings with Tunes?

For those of you that have the RK and some type of sound system, What do you have? I have thought about going with a fairing and of course putting the system in that would be a no brainer, But the thought of taking off the fairing and losing my tunes is unappealing. What are my options? Can i set up a system in the hardbag? Just need some different thoughts on it... Im not up to speed on all the things available aftermarket...

Old 08-14-2012, 08:52 AM
davidsdad
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I been using my ipod and ear buds but have been thinking about trying to get something else. Maybe the H-D Boom System with the speakers that you can mount on the bars or the engine guard?

Subscribed...

Old 08-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Here is a resource.

http://www.adrianmerrington.com/radio.html

I have gone to using ear buds when I don't have my detachable fairing on. Tunes for me are strictly when touring out of the city. In which in most cases when I have my fairing on. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Mikee930
Novice

I did the ear bud thing for a while then got the Hoppe Quadzilla fairing, thinking I would remove it from time to time. I enjoy it so much, I only remove it about once a year and I don't miss the tunes for the little while that it's off.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:19 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just stopping in. I have a Road King CVO and an Ultra Limited and just want to compare the stereo and not.

The stereo on the Ultra Limited is a great addition and no, it's not the same having ear buds or phone plugs in your ears. The four speakers are great and sound great. I thought of putting a stereo on my CVO but will not put a fairing on. That defeats the purpose of the RK which is the best looking bike Harley makes, imho.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 AM
scottmotorsports
Advanced

I have mounted a Sirius Radio unit in the Saddle bag of my RKC. I use earbuds with a extension plugged straight into the Aux out with no amp. Lower power draw and great sound on the highway.

Last edited by scottmotorsports; 08-14-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:23 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikee930
I did the ear bud thing for a while then got the Hoppe Quadzilla fairing, thinking I would remove it from time to time. I enjoy it so much, I only remove it about once a year and I don't miss the tunes for the little while that it's off.
A lot of guys will say this, and that is cool for them. But I am one that much prefers the fairing off. Tunes and wind protection is nice for touring. But the sound of my HD is also music to my ears.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:44 AM
eland
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scottmotorsports
I have mounted a Sirius Radio unit in the Saddle bag of my RKC. I use earbuds with a extension plugged straight into the Aux out with no amp. Lower power draw and great sound on the highway.
Scott, can you show us some pictures of what you have done?

Old 08-14-2012, 10:16 AM
2004Sierra
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Earbuds or fairing in my opinion.

None of the handlebar or windshield mounted systems I have heard work very well. They just don't have enough volume at highway speeds.

After all my researching I decided to go with a Reckless fairing with a 200 watt Sony radio and Polk 6x9 speakers. Even with no amp and 4" Rineharts I can hear the tunes fine at 70 mph. I have received many compliments on the loudness and quality of the sound from guys riding behind me.

Installed with quick connectors on the wiring you can switch out the fairing to the stock windshield or no windshield in about 5 minutes.

So far have only removed the fairing twice, much less than anticipated. I have found that I love the fairing on the bike.

In my opinion, don't waste your money on the handlebar or windshield systems. Go with a fairing, I think you will like it.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:21 AM
sixsixsputnik
Intermediate

i put these on my trumpet
Amazon Amazon
and they sound really good for the money. they also have a 300 watt system. because i have the drag bars they stick up pretty high. my buddy put some on his RK and they blend in real nice and for the harley its plug and play. took longer to run the speaker lines than to power it up to the bike.

Attached Thumbnails Road Kings with Tunes?-speakers.jpg   Road Kings with Tunes?-speedy.jpg  

Quick Reply: Road Kings with Tunes?