Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relocate air temp sensor 74419-96

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 02:30 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sudbury2010glide
Did the best mod ever today, ditched that useless gauge for an oil temp gauge!!!

I feel knowing the temp of the oil might be more important than knowing what it is outside since i'm there anyways!!
Did the same, I have oil pressure and oil temp on the right side of fairing.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:13 AM
rbb469
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Yep, I relocated mine to a workbench drawer years ago and installed a compass to replace it.

JMO, but an oil temp gage is almost as useless as the air temp gage.
Is it a factory compass? Does it match your other gauges? Thanks. Ricky

Old 08-23-2012, 04:35 PM
dlpuette
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

Just to revive this thread, I've seen the compass gauge on the packaging for the radio trim kit. I asked the dealer parts guy and he said he's never seen that unit in the parts book or anywhere else. I think that would be much more useful than an air temp gauge that always shows 90 degrees!!!

Anybody know if it's a real product??

I know I want to lose the useless air temp unit. Oil temp would be good, but I would thing an engine temp gauge would be the best (cylinder head temp??). I've never seen that one either.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:31 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got rid of the air temp and install a oil temp gauge... I think its much better than the air temp.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:01 PM
bulldog485
Intermediate

Originally Posted by katobird
I moved mine down and ty-wrapped it to the brake line.
Still out of the way but got more air.... Overall lowered it about 4-5 inches

Believe it or not, mine was pretty accurate..

But I did replace it with Oil Temp
I'm thinking about the Oil Temp gauge really hard. You say you relocated your air sensor, which is what I want to do. Did you have to extend the harness? I was looking at it the other day and on my 2006 UC, the harness didn't look long enough. It is a 3-wire plug and if I could get parts, I could make an extension harness so I could move it anywhere I wanted.

Are these parts available and if so, any part numbers or links would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:35 PM
09B29
Road Captain

How difficult is it to install the oil temp gauge?

Old 06-16-2013, 08:29 PM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 09B29
How difficult is it to install the oil temp gauge?
Very easy. The hardest part for me was just finding the damn air temp sensor, (the oil temp harness plugs into the plug on the back of the air temp sensor). I didn't even drain the oil. If you're fast, you won't lose enough oil to make any difference.

Good mod. I too thought that air temp gauge was a waste of space.

Ride Safe

David

Old 06-17-2013, 05:09 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bulldog485
I'm thinking about the Oil Temp gauge really hard. You say you relocated your air sensor, which is what I want to do. Did you have to extend the harness? I was looking at it the other day and on my 2006 UC, the harness didn't look long enough. It is a 3-wire plug and if I could get parts, I could make an extension harness so I could move it anywhere I wanted.

Are these parts available and if so, any part numbers or links would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I had the fairing off and re-routed it. cut a few ty wraps and lowered it about 3-4 inches...(The sensor). It hung down right at the top of the "cow bell"...There was no harness extension or splice. I t gave me enough room to get fresh air to it..... After a while I just bought the Oil temp and replaced to air guage

Old 06-03-2015, 04:04 PM
STLCHUCK
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2007 Road Glide Instruments Fuse Burning Out

Hello,Several days ago the 15 amp fuse to my 2007 Road Glide instruments burned out.I have no odometer, speedometer, tach, or any gauges working. Everything elseis fine and the bike operates fine. I replaced the 15 amp fuse with a 30 ampfuse and it also burned out. I put in a 15 amp fuse today and it burnedout again. I did notice a part hanging out from under the tach /speedometer console, HD: 74419-96, which appears to be for the air temperaturegauge. It must have jarred loose. Any ideas on where I should look to solve theissue of the fuse burning out? Thank you, Chuck

Old 06-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Glidedsternfan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Relocate it to the trash!!

I don't know what model year touring bike you have but on my 2011 Road Glide I swapped out the worthless outside air temp gauge for the HD oil temp gauge.
It just makes more sense. I mean, I'm on a motorcycle! I know if it's hot or cold! Do I really need to know the exact air temperature?
I think I'd rather know how hot or not my engine is running.

Good luck!

GSF

Quick Reply: Relocate air temp sensor 74419-96