Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SuperTuner without Dyno?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 12:21 PM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Default SuperTuner without Dyno?

A friend of mine is adding Rinehart pipes and an intake to his 2012 Street Glide. For a tuner, he's considering doing the HD SuperTuner route through a local dealership. The quote he has gotten doesn't include a dyno run? Every time I've ever been quoted a SuperTuner installation (I've never done one), my dealer (different than the one he wants to go to) has always quoted a Dyno run as part of the deal?

Personally I went the FuelMoto/Power Vision route, but he seems leery and prefers to have the dealership do the work.

Do dealerships keep files for this sort of thing, so they could use the SuperTuner to flash the ECM for this config without a dyno run?

I guess I never thought of the dyno as optional, but as part of the cost of choosing the HD route...

Old 08-13-2012, 12:40 PM
RoadGlidinFreak
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did my stage 2... I got the SE Pro Tuner.... Since it didn't have over 1000 miles on it, instead of dynoing, they just plugged in and fattened up the mixture across the board a little... no actual tuning. Now I have the miles on it, I have to take it back in and get the tuning done.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Dealers with a dyno tuner keeps files on all the bikes they tune. They should also give the customer a copy of the final tune when finished. But it doesn't always happen that way. With the software and cables he can do smart tune runs and tune the bike to real world conditions. Is this better then an actual tuner doing it? That would depend on the person doing the tuning.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:27 PM
kenny11b
Intermediate

Im a little confused so after i add pipes A/C and tuner i should get the bike dynoed? to get the bike to run at its best?

Old 08-13-2012, 02:42 PM
kenny11b
Intermediate

anyone?

Old 08-13-2012, 02:49 PM
tazzzman
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When spending the money on Super Tuner, Intake and Exhaust, why would you "skimp" on having it Dino'd? The Super Tuner adjusts @ every 500 rpms. through the power band and is the best IMO.

He should pay the $350.00, or so and have it all "dialed in". He'll be glad he did!

Old 08-13-2012, 03:02 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

At my dealer they strongly recommend dyno with SE Tuner, I went that way when I did my upgrades, and glad I did.
Service Manager said to remind them at write up when I brought it in for "Before and after" run sheets, shows your gains.
May be that some places don't do a "Before" if you don't ask for it, just sayin'...

Old 08-13-2012, 03:24 PM
michaelm
Tourer

A SERT without a dyno is a waste of money.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:30 AM
hamnhog
Cruiser

Originally Posted by michaelm
A SERT without a dyno is a waste of money.
When I put V&H Monster Ovals and a SEPST on my 09 UC last year, I did not have a dyno tune. The service guy at the dealer loaded a canned map and I could not be happier with the result. A dyno tune might make it run better than it does now, but I don't know how. I compared it with an Ultra Limited with FM pipes and PCV and found my bike to be just as strong with a smoother power curve. Lots of variables here, but a dyno tune is not always a requirement. Why spend the money and subject your bike to the stress if you can be happy without it? Just saying...

Old 08-14-2012, 11:41 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by kenny11b
anyone?
I didnt and it runs great.....if you come across a video of a bike being dyno'd while searching for exhaust sound clips you will see how hard they beat on those engines....I for one will not subject mine to that kind of abuse......if your trying to get your bike race ready then by all means have at it, but I dont plan to get my bike up over 90-95 all that often.

Quick Reply: SuperTuner without Dyno?