Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG for tall dudes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 11:29 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SG for tall dudes?

I like the SG. Though I have heard they sit lower than other big glides.

I sat on my friends bone stock RG and was in awe!!! Sat so high, love it to death!!!

But I dont want a tourpack.

so my options are to strip down a big glide, or buy a SG.

Any tall dudes sitting on a SG, that have had saddle time on a different glide? How much of a difference is there?

Old 08-12-2012, 11:46 PM
convincor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seat and bars. Otherwise same bike as far as rider fitment.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:53 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by convincor
The RG felt tall as hell. The SG is notoriously lower. But you're saying they are basically the same?

If i can get that same "high" feeling on the SG, then my decision is all but made

Thank you.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:04 AM
senna
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Road glide and street glide are basically the same bike sg is 1" lowerer in the rear ( shorter shocks) and then the different fairings.

Rg comes like a sg, no tour pack.

Everything else is the same, the frame wheels etc.

How tall are you? I'm 6'4 and have no issue riding a sg.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:04 AM
tazzzman
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by convincor
+1....Ditto that! Same frame & fitment except for the fairing. You can replace seats (to fit lower/higher in the saddle), replace floorboards with forward controls and handlebars to customize fitment to your preferences and riding style.

I work in parts @ a Platinum HD dealership and we have Demo seats available to "try before you buy". Also, a demo bike on the floor to try out different handlebars,mirrors and grips.

With a little research and interviewing fellow riders with similar bikes and desired fitment, you should be able to "dial it in" as to what will work best for you. Best of luck!!

Old 08-13-2012, 12:06 AM
convincor
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SG uses profile shocks which are an 1" lower.
HD does make the "tallboy" seat

Old 08-13-2012, 12:17 AM
tazzzman
Tourer

Originally Posted by senna
Road glide and street glide are basically the same bike sg is 1" lowerer in the rear ( shorter shocks) and then the different fairings.

Rg comes like a sg, no tour pack.

Everything else is the same, the frame wheels etc.

How tall are you? I'm 6'4 and have no issue riding a sg.
RG and SG ARE NOT THE SAME! SG and RK are he same! The Road glide is the only FIXED FAIRING made by Harley! Ever ridden one? They are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!!!

Try corners @ night with a Road Glide....as you are looking "around the corner", your lights are facing straight towards the ditch ahead.

Then again, the Road Glide is designed as a Highway Touring Bike where it's fairing forces a "down pressure" @ Highway speeds for more stability and the most "solid feel" on the highway and in "cross winds".

As I said in my prior post, do your research. Street Glide (awesome bike) is the same as a Road King, just with a different fairing and tunes.

Last edited by tazzzman; 08-13-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:29 AM
senna
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tazzzman
RG and SG ARE NOT THE SAME! SG and RK are he same! The Road glide is the only FIXED FAIRING made by Harley! Ever ridden one? They are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!!!

Try corners @ night with a Road Glide....as you are looking "around the corner", your lights are facing straight towards the ditch ahead.

Then again, the Road Glide is designed as a Highway Touring Bike where it's fairing forces a "down pressure" @ Highway speeds for more stability and the most "solid feel" on the highway and in "cross winds".

As I said in my prior post, do your research. Street Glide (awesome bike) is the same as a Road King, just with a different fairing and tunes.
Wow, like I said same bike different fairings.

No wonder HD dealers get such a bad rap.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:48 AM
tazzzman
Tourer

Originally Posted by senna
Wow, like I said same bike different fairings.

No wonder HD dealers get such a bad rap.
Sorry to offend you, however, working @ a Platinum Dealer (top 5 in the country) we strive to help every rider make informed decisions. Such as the fact that these two bikes "may have the same frame and motor", however, they ride COMPLETELY DIFFERENT(as I said before).

I'm sorry if you've had bad experiences with dealers in your area, as I have in the past, but every Dealership is Independently owned and should be judged independantly!

We have 12 techs. and are booked 2-3 weeks in advance(5 Master Techs. and 1 Dino Master) and the Master Techs. ALL ride Road Glides (though far from stock).

Old 08-13-2012, 12:58 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by tazzzman
Sorry to offend you, however, working @ a Platinum Dealer (top 5 in the country) we strive to help every rider make informed decisions. Such as the fact that these two bikes "may have the same frame and motor", however, they ride COMPLETELY DIFFERENT(as I said before).

I'm sorry if you've had bad experiences with dealers in your area, as I have in the past, but every Dealership is Independently owned and should be judged independantly!

We have 12 techs. and are booked 2-3 weeks in advance(5 Master Techs. and 1 Dino Master) and the Master Techs. ALL ride Road Glides (though far from stock).
Damn dude...take it down a notch...

Quick Reply: SG for tall dudes?