Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG for tall dudes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 PM
D1gger
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah... the old "headlights don't turn" argument. Just how far do you actually turn your handlebars when cornering at any speed above 10mph? Pay attention next time you are out riding. If anything you are countersteering if going really hard into the corner. Kinda cancels out the so-called benefits of the headlights turning with the bars, doesn't it?

Anyways, to answer the OP; I'm really tall as well, 6'5" or so without the boots and most of it is leg. After riding both the EG and the Tour Glide(RG's ancestor), I felt the most comfy on the Tour Glide. The point was driven home to me when the average height salesman threw a leg over the Tour Glide to show me something about it and had to tip-toe to hold the beast up. My wife has to scale the side to climb on and can't hope to hold it up by herself.

If your height is in your torso, you'll appreciate the extra room the RG "shark nose" gives you and as said above, you can always take off what you don't want. I would suggest a quick release kit for the tour pack. That way you can slap it on when the need arises, but leave it off when you don't want it along. They are definitely handy to have around. The shark nose of the RGU with a removeable tourpack would give the illusion of being longer and lower than the SG unless you park right next to one.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I am 6' and have an '06 SG that has plenty of room so i can stretch out. I recently tested a '12 SG and felt very cramped. The new frame must be the difference.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I got the ultra and turned it into a SG for the summer. I like the taller shocks. Here's some tips for stretching it out.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...my-flhtcu.html

Old 08-13-2012, 10:14 PM
scottycameron
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6'6" tall here

I have to say i had my heart set on a street glide as well but i was lucky enough my dealership had both of the street glide and the road glide custom new on the floor. I felt like a monkey ****in a football on the street glide. They claim for most people over like 6'3" ish or taller feel so much more comfortable on the RG. And it was a no brainer for this guy, the RG felt 10 times better than the SG. I still had to do a few minor additions to make it fit better but for the most part it was ****. The one thing i would recommend is the C & C seat with a backrest. It moved me back i want to say the max they would go is 2" back before it starts interferring with the rear fender. I also did the Harley Goodies ext. And it fits like a glove!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:48 PM
TallTexan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 6'6" & Love my '07 FLHX. Added Ness Board supports, Kuryakyn Board ext kit & Harley ext boards. Then added extended brake & shifter levers. My toes hang out through the engine guards. Friend of mine is 7' and he loves his 2012 RG custom. We both have custom seats made locally using OEM platforms.
Also working on Custom Bike with 4 extended frame top and bottom. Challenge is going to bring the nose of the RG back a couple inches. It just looks so far out there. It will be long n low, no big wheels either.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:45 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,302 Likes on 22,629 Posts

Best thing to do OP is to try out each of an S/G and a R/G and see for yourself...
After all it's your $$$$$$...

One thing that will probably be safe to say is that you will be more comfortable on either one compared to your softail.

Last edited by lionsm13; 08-14-2012 at 08:48 AM.