Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG for tall dudes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 01:07 AM
tazzzman
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dew Me
Damn dude...take it down a notch...
I will if you'd send your "avitar" over.....been a long day.

Been a long day... 380 mi. Good night, y'all. (No offense meant to anyone)

Old 08-13-2012, 01:07 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

OP---RK's, RG's, and SG's all ride on the same frame and therefor have a crapload in common. They are all VERY different simply b/c of no fairing, shark nose fairing, and batwing fairing.

The batwing is available on 4 models (not including CVO's and not including Trikes) and is most popular. If not interested in tour pak or lower fairings, but wanting better, higher suspension then get the Electra Glide Classic and take the tour pak off. Put it on Ebay and maybe get $500. Keep it in a corner in case you change your mind for a long ride. You can totally make all of these bikes right for your height.

Most importantly (and the best advice you can get) is to go to a dealer and try them out. Test ride'em all. Enjoy...

Old 08-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have ridden both and own a Street Glide, I was going to buy a Road Glide at some point but the Street Glide came along at the right time and right price, I am 6'4" and find the standard bike comfortable, I am long in leg if that makes a difference. Regardless of looks or any such, both bikes are near identical, they ride very similar with the Road Glide taking the edge in my opinion probably due to the fixed fairing not affecting the steering in the same way as the bat wing, not that the steering is badly affected but you notice a difference if you ride them back to back, if and when I buy a new bike it will be a Road Glide, but my Street Glide takes me everywhere I want to go and I go everywhere. One thing I will do to any bike I own now however is upgrade the front suspension to suit my weight and fit a taller screen, these two modifications have revolutionized my bike.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:58 AM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm 6'5" on a 2012 SG. Made some modifications to it to fit me, extended floorboards, shift & brake levers, Harley Goodies Extensions, C&C seat that sits me down and back. I just prefer the looks of the SG over the RG. Was never a decision for me of which one to get.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rsarno
The RG felt tall as hell. The SG is notoriously lower. But you're saying they are basically the same?

If i can get that same "high" feeling on the SG, then my decision is all but made

Thank you.
You can change out the seat and it will feel completely different.
You can move up, back, down, forward with just a seat change.

The Street Glide shocks are 1" shorter than the RG Ultra's, EG Ultra's or Road Kings.
You can swap with someone wanting to lower their bike or just buy taller shocks.

A lot of big guys like the Road Glide because the faring is way out in front and they say they don't feel cramped.
If your friend has a Tour pak then he has the Road Glide Ultra, which is set up the same as the Ultra Classic, big seat and taller rear shocks.

They do make a "Road Glide Custom" that is set up with the same seat and rear shocks as the Street Glide.
So if you like that fairing but don't want a Tour Pak that's an option.

Last edited by Texas Fat Boy; 08-13-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:02 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
You can change out the seat and it will feel completely different.
You can move up, back, down, forward with just a seat change.

The Street Glide shocks are 1" shorter than the RG Ultra's, EG Ultra's or Road Kings.
You can swap with someone wanting to lower their bike or just buy taller shocks.

A lot of big guys like the Road Glide because the faring is way out in front and they say they don't feel cramped.
If your friend has a Tour pak then he has the Road Glide Ultra, which is set up the same as the Ultra Classic, big seat and taller rear shocks.

They do make a "Road Glide Custom" that is set up with the same seat and rear shocks as the Street Glide.
So if you like that fairing but don't want a Tour Pak that's an option.
Thanks everybody for the informative posts!

Texas, id actually prefer the complete opposite ... I like the fairing of the EG/SG but the shocks/seat of the RGU. Im assuming thats easily attainable.

I looked at the EGC but I forget now what it was missing .. maybe cruise?

SG seems like the complete package for me from what I can tell, but the first thing id be doing is looking to raise it up a bit. Not that its bad where it is, but because i was spoiled sitting on my friends RGU .. it was really a great feeling for me

Old 08-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

but the shocks/seat of the RGU. Im assuming thats easily attainable.
Everything on a RGU should be exactly the same as a EGU. Only difference is the fairing. (Which is a pretty big difference) Can't swear on the seat but I think it is the same too except maybe different stitching?

EGC is the same exact bike as the EGU, except the EGU has some more options. Lowers, intercom, CB, rear speakers, and taillights in tour pak being the ones that come to mind

I looked at the EGC but I forget now what it was missing .. maybe cruise?
The EGC you tried may not have had Cruise but it is an option on the EGC.

Lemme give you the back ground on a SG:
Willie G. noticed what a lot of people were doing to their EG's and wanted to capitalize. He started with an EG (Classic or Ultra). He took most of the chrome off. Took off the spot lights. He lowered it an inch. Removed the tour pak. Then he started added a lot of the popular accessories riders add to their bikes. Meaning wheels, seat, foot controls, lower shield.

Soooo, if you want a higher SG customized the way YOU want it, instead of the way Willie G. thinks you want it, then buy the EGC and make it yours...

Old 08-13-2012, 07:21 PM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tazzzman
RG and SG ARE NOT THE SAME! SG and RK are he same! The Road glide is the only FIXED FAIRING made by Harley! Ever ridden one? They are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!!!

Try corners @ night with a Road Glide....as you are looking "around the corner", your lights are facing straight towards the ditch ahead.

Then again, the Road Glide is designed as a Highway Touring Bike where it's fairing forces a "down pressure" @ Highway speeds for more stability and the most "solid feel" on the highway and in "cross winds".

As I said in my prior post, do your research. Street Glide (awesome bike) is the same as a Road King, just with a different fairing and tunes.
Originally Posted by tazzzman
Sorry to offend you, however, working @ a Platinum Dealer (top 5 in the country) we strive to help every rider make informed decisions. Such as the fact that these two bikes "may have the same frame and motor", however, they ride COMPLETELY DIFFERENT(as I said before).

I'm sorry if you've had bad experiences with dealers in your area, as I have in the past, but every Dealership is Independently owned and should be judged independantly!

We have 12 techs. and are booked 2-3 weeks in advance(5 Master Techs. and 1 Dino Master) and the Master Techs. ALL ride Road Glides (though far from stock).
Hey Captain Platinum "the SG and RK are the same....just with a different fairing and tunes." ??????
so your saying the rear suspension and seat on the SG and RK are the same? really.... they must build them different for you "Platinum" guys...

and I don't have a masters degree in marketing or anythiing but a statement like "Try corners @ night with a Road Glide....as you are looking "around the corner", your lights are facing straight towards the ditch ahead. "
certainly doesn't seem like a good way for a guy that works at a PLATINUM dealer to represent its products..

and B.T.W. i'm pretty sure its DYNO master... Dino is the Flintstones' pet's name

Old 08-13-2012, 07:49 PM
mike1158
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wheeeh...... now that i got that outta the way..
to the O.P. you being able to be comfortable on your bike has all to do with the seat and the bars (fairing is all a matter of prefference) the suspension has little to do with a tall guy being comfortable on a bike...
the riding position is all about the relationship between the position of your rear end, your feet, and your hands. whether or not the whole bike is an inch higher or lower doesn't have any effect on you when you're moving.
I have read alot of posts about people wanting info on how to get lower, cuz they are short (believe me i know) or they are going for a particular look or style, but you won't find much, if any, posting on here about tall guys complaining that their legs are too bent when sitting at a stop.

With all that being said, the EGC is the same price as an SG. if you like the bigger or Taller seat on the EGC and the styling appeals to you..i'd say lean that way... if you don't want the tour pack get a "detach" bracket and take it off...you can always throw it on if the need pops up.
If you REALLY don't think you'll ever use it...they bring good money on EBay...especially a nice shiney new one....

Old 08-13-2012, 07:56 PM
senna
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1158
Hey Captain Platinum "the SG and RK are the same....just with a different fairing and tunes." ??????
so your saying the rear suspension and seat on the SG and RK are the same? really.... they must build them different for you "Platinum" guys...

and I don't have a masters degree in marketing or anythiing but a statement like "Try corners @ night with a Road Glide....as you are looking "around the corner", your lights are facing straight towards the ditch ahead. "
certainly doesn't seem like a good way for a guy that works at a PLATINUM dealer to represent its products..

and B.T.W. i'm pretty sure its DYNO master... Dino is the Flintstones' pet's name
But, they are booked out 2 - 3 weeks in advance.

Quick Reply: SG for tall dudes?