Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fit Considerations on a FLHTC?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:51 AM
richb1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fit Considerations on a FLHTC?

I'm coming off a Yamaha RSV to an Ultra Classic. I test drove the Ultra Classic, loved it, but clearly it sits shorter in length than my RSV. I am aware of using a Tallboy seat to move me back, but can you guy's out there over 6 feet tall, offer some advice on floor boards, shift / brake lever extensions, etc.? I have some knee problems so I need to be able to move my legs around during long rides. I had already considered removing the heel shifter to be able to move around a little more freely.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:55 AM
TVan
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Heel shifter was the first thing to go on mine, now you need some good highway pegs. Get the adjustable ones and you will find the right spot to stretch out and put your feet up.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:59 AM
circlenine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harley makes an extender that pushes your boards a few inches forward. I haven't tried this yet, because like everything Harley, it's not cheap.

I did install the Harley goodies floorboard extensions that bring the boards out an inch. That provided drastic improvements with regards to room and comfort. And the Harley Goodies costs under $50.

A seat, as you mentioned will also help. I put the hammock on my Street Glide and it works very well.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Fire1Tex
Advanced

Heel shifter removed as stated, floor board extenders, highway pegs mounted on engine guard. All of these things help me stay on the bike for extended periods. Also, the addition of the backrest really contributed to my over all comfort on the bike.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:08 AM
BlueShift
Road Master

I ride an 09 RKC. I am 6'2" and one of the first mods I installed was the Kuryakyn floor board extender kit, it pushes them out 1" and forward 1".
I removed the heal shifter and added the HD extended brake arm.
I also run a Mustang super solo seat that pushed me back about 2"s.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:43 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

I'm no help cause I'm only 6' with 36" inseam and have never had a issue on the touring bikes. I have used the extended brake pedal, footboard extenders and highway pegs but the only thing that really helps me is the 2" extended heel shifter. I change the seat and bars to get my feet on the boards better.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:56 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

6'2" 36" inseam.

I find I am most comfortable for the long haul* on a stock FLHTC- I've had both '95 and '09's and the stock control positions suit me great.

I like an upright position when riding to keep my upper body weight through my abs and onto the feet, rather than on my rear.

the only thing I change is the windscreen height, I cut mine down a couple of inches so the top edge "appears" to intersect the road about 40' in front of thebike

sometimes I will shift my feet to the crash bars or the rear pegs to move around...but one of the best changes is the cruise control means I can move my right hand off the controls and that makes easier on shoulders and neck

we are all different and there are a million seat and control combinations out there.

* in town where I will nt be riding more than a few hours a day, i use a streetglide seat, shorter windscreen to match the seat height and shorter SG shocks

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-12-2012 at 02:06 PM.