Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG Dash / Power Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 12:47 PM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SG Dash / Power Questions

Hi all, yesterday over the phone I was talking to a salesman at my local dealer and I put a downpayment on a 2013 SG that I will be taking delivery of when I get home at the end of the month. I am trading in my 2009 RKC but before I do I plan on taking off my Nuvi 255 GPS and Gilsson power wire that I have hooked up to the accessory switch.

My questions are;
On the left side of the lower dash where the ignition switch is I see there are two caps that look like some type of rocker switch should / could go there.
1. Is there a wiring harness under there that is plug and play to hook a accessory switch? Or will the splicing of wires be required?
2. Can a accessory switch be purchased from the dealer?

On the right side of the same dash panel I see two rocker switches, from the pictures that I have been looking at (they are not clear when I try to zoom in).
1. It looks like one is for the Cruise and the other I am not sure....?
2. If it is a accessory switch is something already using it?
3. Or is it like what was on my RKC, a factory installed / powered switch controlling nothing?

My goal is to connect the Gilsson power power wire to an accessory switch because I have to store the bike for 3 months at a time when I leave for work and I am trying to minimize the power drain. When I leave I store the bike and I put it on a smart charger but if I can eliminate unnecessary power drain I would like to.

If anyone has suggestions on how I can accomplish my goal but in a better way I am open to suggestions. However I do want the GPS hardwired to the bike on a switch, I really don't want wires hanging by running a USB power cord to the 12v plug that is already in the fairing.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the dumb questions. I am sitting over here drooling over internet pictures of bike trying to plan out what I am going to do to the bike while home on leave.

I am sure that the rest of this month is going to drag by and I will end up with a ton more questions for you all.

Thanks in advance, stay safe.

Jake T.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

The switch on the far right is for the ACC plug that is under the seat. the plug has 4 wires. 1 is a ground, the other 3 are for 1. Always on, 2. On with ignition switch, 3. on with ACC switch - depending on the accessory plugged into it.
the other switch on the right is probably cruise.
on the left, the two "covers" are 1 for spotlights, if installed, and the other has a variety of possibilities - Speaker switch for ultras, electronic locks for CVOs or use your imagination.
You can buy individual switches or complete switch harnesses that include 1,2,3,4 switches and a 12 wire connector that connects inside the fairing.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:31 PM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
The switch on the far right is for the ACC plug that is under the seat. the plug has 4 wires. 1 is a ground, the other 3 are for 1. Always on, 2. On with ignition switch, 3. on with ACC switch - depending on the accessory plugged into it.
the other switch on the right is probably cruise.
on the left, the two "covers" are 1 for spotlights, if installed, and the other has a variety of possibilities - Speaker switch for ultras, electronic locks for CVOs or use your imagination.
You can buy individual switches or complete switch harnesses that include 1,2,3,4 switches and a 12 wire connector that connects inside the fairing.
For the possibilities on the left, do you know if there are already plugs there or will it take cutting into a wire harness?

Thanks for the info

Old 08-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will have to cut into the harness if you use the blanks on the left hand side. Or, it's easy enough to tap into either the lighter wire, or, on the touring frames, there is a wire (sorry, forget the color) for the fender tip light wire, and you can use that. It's just capped off on the SG, (no fender light like on an Ultra).

The blanks pop out easy enough, but you will have to pull your ignition switch and the cover to get to the wires that are hidden.

I wired my heated gear controller in the dash.

Attached Thumbnails SG Dash / Power Questions-dash.jpg  
Old 08-11-2012, 04:14 PM
bgdv1
Road Master
Received 223 Likes on 70 Posts

you shouldnt have to cut into anything. i added the aux lights to my SG and put the switch on the left side and plug'd it in. you can tap a power supply behind the fairing to power it up.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:22 PM
JW2
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While Peculier gives you a top shot of the fairing cap, here is a shot of the underside (2012 SG)...

The left side is the blank sockets where you may put additional switches (ie. aux lights, speaker, etc) and the right side is the cruise switch and accessory switch. As Weavr said, the accessory switch controls the accessory plug down under the seat. There is no wiring in place on the fairing cap itself for (potential) switches but you may be able to tap right in to the connector for the fairing harness where the cruise and accessory switches plug into. This connector on the 2012 is pre-wired for the auxiliary lights and speaker connection, but no reason why you shouldn't be able to connect into there.

If they don't change the wiring harness for the 13's, the accessory connector is a 4-Place Deutsch DT Sealed connector. Not sure off hand if this is the same connector used on the 09 RKC, but if it is, you could just plug in there and route your wires to where you want to mount your GPS.

If you want to wire in yourself once you get the new SG, I suggest at least picking up a service manual so that you can see the specific wiring for it. Although most will probably be the same, never know when they make a few changes.

Last edited by JW2; 08-11-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:51 AM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain

Thanks a bunch everyone. This forum is pretty awesome, ask a question and bunch of buddies jump up and help out. I can't wait to get home to pick up the bike and start this project.

Anyone happen to know the part number(s) for the switch off the top of their head? I looking in the on line P&A catalog but was unable to locate them.

Thanks again everyone, especially for the pictures. And a manual is the second thing I will be picking up on delivery day....

Stay safe,

Jake

Old 08-12-2012, 06:17 AM
golfmajic
Road Captain
Location: Ottawa, Canada, summer, Daytona Beach Florida, winter
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In addition there are 2 wires with connectors taped to the headlight wire wire bundle near the headlight connector which may not be used. They are hot when the ignition switch is turned on, I use them for my GPS.
Worked for me, sorry I don't remember the wire coloring.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:33 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDesertTroll
Anyone happen to know the part number(s) for the switch off the top of their head? I looking in the on line P&A catalog but was unable to locate them.
yeah, the p&a isn't gonna give you that kind of stuff. you need a parts manual. not having access to one over there where you are, you can always go to ronnies and look at their online parts manual....

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc

Old 08-12-2012, 09:31 AM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain

Originally Posted by golfmajic
In addition there are 2 wires with connectors taped to the headlight wire wire bundle near the headlight connector which may not be used. They are hot when the ignition switch is turned on, I use them for my GPS.
Worked for me, sorry I don't remember the wire coloring.
Confirming I can or can not use those wires?

Originally Posted by skratch
yeah, the p&a isn't gonna give you that kind of stuff. you need a parts manual. not having access to one over there where you are, you can always go to ronnies and look at their online parts manual....

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc
Thanks for the link, that will help out a bunch.