Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does my garage smell like gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 11:41 AM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why does my garage smell like gas?

I dont see any leaks. I just cant figure it out. Gas cap is tight. Bike isnt overful. Its about a half tank. This happens sometimes. But today it is REALLY bad.
?????????????????????????????????

Old 08-11-2012, 11:48 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 09FLHT
I dont see any leaks. I just cant figure it out. Gas cap is tight. Bike isnt overful. Its about a half tank. This happens sometimes. But today it is REALLY bad.
?????????????????????????????????
My 09 SG does the same thing. I need to keep my garage doors open for at least an hour after returning from a ride or the whole garage smells like fuel. The smell is worse if the tank is less then half full and also the smell is different depending on what brand fuel your running. IT'S NORMAL!!!!!!!!!! I sound just like a dealer now LOL.....

Old 08-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,004 Likes on 4,195 Posts

You have a leak. Two to three drops will make a smell and you should have no drops. Its either the vent hose winding down under tank to front of back wheel or your cap gasket is nicked more then likely. Are three click tighten the cap? However unless your bike has a charcoal canster like some CA have you may spell a little fumes if the hot sun gets on the tank say thru a window with garage shut up. Since your from AZ, its not 115 in your garage is it? Smell is different depending on what brand fuel your eating is what is normal. I also agree with HDV, a HOT bike sitting under the tank is going to vent some fumes unless it's a CA bike.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-11-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Zealot
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gas leaks are much easier to find at night, by lighter light.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Octane_Hog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to have the same problem. My '10 WG's gas cap clicks before it is fully seated. I push down a little when tightening the cap & the gas smell is gone.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope your water heater isn't in the garage.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:05 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
You have a leak. Two to three drops will make a smell and you should have no drops. Its either the vent hose winding down under tank to front of back wheel or your cap gasket is nicked more then likely. Are three click tighten the cap? However unless your bike has a charcoal canster like some CA have you may spell a little fumes if the hot sun gets on the tank say thru a window with garage shut up. Since your from AZ, its not 115 in your garage is it? Smell is different depending on what brand fuel your eating is what is normal. I also agree with HDV, a HOT bike sitting under the tank is going to vent some fumes unless it's a CA bike.
No leak (unless he see's drips on the floor), it's a common problem with the newer bikes. Lots of posts about it here. Mine has done it since day one.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:11 PM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to blame my wife's car. Thanks for helping her side. LOL.
I'll check the cap. Thx guys.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:13 PM
The Shute
Club Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ease up on the baked beans and see if it goes away.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:24 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

my garage smells like gas too.

all the bikes in there have the tanks vented and the outside temps have been over 110 the past few days- my garage faces south and the door heats up to much higher temps.

this is why so many AZ garage doors are raised a few inches-----gas fumes are heavier than air so are vented to the atmosphere.

AND that is why hot water heaters are raised on a pedestal.- in the event of a natural gas or gasoline fume build up, the gas is lower then the hot water heater.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
Asa Evans (12-05-2019)

Quick Reply: Why does my garage smell like gas?