Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does my garage smell like gas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's the vent. This is mostly a problem when tank is half full or less and the fuel is heated up by the pump. I had heard you can add an older style vent to remedy this but don't know specifics. Usually I leave the bike outside for a half hour or so before putting it away. Also, I noticed that when the fuel is cold the smell is far less. When I fill the tank and ride home a short distance I am able to go right in with little to no smell.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:25 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
my garage smells like gas too.

all the bikes in there have the tanks vented and the outside temps have been over 110 the past few days- my garage faces south and the door heats up to much higher temps.

this is why so many AZ garage doors are raised a few inches-----gas fumes are heavier than air so are vented to the atmosphere.

AND that is why hot water heaters are raised on a pedestal.- in the event of a natural gas or gasoline fume build up, the gas is lower then the hot water heater.

Mike
I don't smell any gas when I go into the garage, but I leave a shop fan running to keep the air moving anyway, don't like it being 100+ degrees with two bikes with gas in them.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:43 PM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the source of the gas smell has been found.
It wasnt the Harley. It wasnt my ***, But it wasnt the OLs car either.
It was the Honda 150 dirtbike. Found a puddle under the swingarm when we just came home. The petcock was in the on position and it was coming out the carb overflow tube.
****ing riceburners.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,004 Likes on 4,195 Posts

Glad you found it. I think there is a different smell when you have a few drips and when its just engine heat making the tank vent. The latter is more like the smell from say gas logs with a hit of gasoline. Real liquid is overpowering. Had a fuel filter with banjo up on the side of my 4x4. It had a slight crack. Took me months to find it. Finally found it at night with a flashlight. It was dripping behind starter. Wife had threatened to use a lighter. She hates the 4x4 and the Harley and when they smell the adjacent den she gets even more testy about them.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:43 PM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

It's a vented gas cap. Wrap a strip of cloth from an old t-shirt around the cap.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,004 Likes on 4,195 Posts

Guess you are joking but Harley's cap is not vented, the tank is vented to a down tube.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:00 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

I fill my RG with gas every night when I get home. I park it with a hot engine in the garage and it nearly always smells like gas a little bit.

One night I got the bike really full of as and rode a few miles instead of going straight home. Out of curiousity, I decided to check and see how much fuel I'd used. When I took the cap off, the gas had expanded and it splashed and overflowed out of the gas tank.

That's with a 2012 RG and a 6-gallon tank. My 2006 with its 5-gallon tank was never a problem.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 09flht
well the source of the gas smell has been found.
It wasnt the harley. It wasnt my ***, but it wasnt the ols car either.
It was the honda 150 dirtbike. Found a puddle under the swingarm when we just came home. The petcock was in the on position and it was coming out the carb overflow tube.
****ing riceburners.
true dat

Old 08-11-2012, 09:34 PM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the little thing fired up and rode it around a bit. Im gonna sell it and buy or trade it for a 1911.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 09FLHT
I got the little thing fired up and rode it around a bit. Im gonna sell it and buy or trade it for a 1911.
So you're going to trade one malfunctioning piece of crap for another? Get a Glock 21SF. Runs great every time!

Isn't this a beautiful work of art? And works great!!

Quick Reply: Why does my garage smell like gas?