Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgrading wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 04:18 PM
bugs
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading wheels

This may be a stupid question...but I'm looking at a more custom look to my street glide and would like a different wheel on front. Do most people replace the rear wheel as well? I think the tourbags cover it up, so you cant really see it....so why mess with it? Just curious I guess as to what others have done.

Thanks for any help!

Old 08-10-2012, 04:28 PM
bugs
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to add.....any advice on a good company that makes chrome wheels at a decent price. I saw some at Sturgis for $3500! Thats quite a bit out of my price range.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:32 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Some do, some don't. I did a rear wheel on my 07, don't plan on it for the RG. Maybe I can't afford it, maybe I got better things to do with $1,200-$1,300 then to spend it on rear wheel you can hardly see. I'll have the stock wheel rear powder coated black when I need to change the rear tire. I know I'll get flamed for this by some but, I guess if I had their money I could just burn mine! LOL! Try Hogpro, they usually have some good monthly specials. Waiting on my 21" LeMans RPM front wheel from them now.

http://www.hogpro.com/

Attached Thumbnails upgrading wheels-imagebox.jpg  

Last edited by 07FLHT; 08-10-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:35 PM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alot of guys only change the front, personally I have a matching rear for my bike just havent installed it yet. If you put a chrome wheel up front on your SG itll be more noticable because the rear (stock) is essentially a contrast cut style wheel. Now if you put a contrast cut aftermarket wheel up front, it wont be all that noticable. And of course stretched bags hide it that much more. It is quite noticable when you have mismatched wheels! (if you put a chrome wheel up front)

As far as company to buy from, try Coastal Moto, Renegade, or Wanaryd. All three of these companies have great customer feedback from what ive read. My wheels are Performance Machine, but I bought them used so I cant offer any first hand experience as far as buying from a supplier goes.

Oh and of course a 21" wheel is the biggest you can go up front without making major modifications, 120/70/R21 is the popular tire size for 21" wheels.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:56 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the rear at the same time but I've seen many that didn't and can't say that it looked that bad, you really don't notice it. Another option is to replace the front and chrome the rear. Here's how much of it you can see.
edit: I got a decent price and EXCELLENT customer service from Brian at Performance.

Attached Thumbnails upgrading wheels-photo0485.jpg   upgrading wheels-photo0518.jpg  
Old 08-10-2012, 04:59 PM
monumaker
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's geto to not do both...

Old 08-10-2012, 05:01 PM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Ghetto? Only running one aftermarket wheel on your harley davidson is far from ghetto, lol.

btw Texas, beautiful SG!

Old 08-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do both. You do notice.

Shakey

Old 08-10-2012, 05:07 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by KennyMay
Alot of guys only change the front, personally I have a matching rear for my bike just havent installed it yet. If you put a chrome wheel up front on your SG itll be more noticable because the rear (stock) is essentially a contrast cut style wheel. Now if you put a contrast cut aftermarket wheel up front, it wont be all that noticable. And of course stretched bags hide it that much more. It is quite noticable when you have mismatched wheels! (if you put a chrome wheel up front)

As far as company to buy from, try Coastal Moto, Renegade, or Wanaryd. All three of these companies have great customer feedback from what ive read. My wheels are Performance Machine, but I bought them used so I cant offer any first hand experience as far as buying from a supplier goes.

Oh and of course a 21" wheel is the biggest you can go up front without making major modifications, 120/70/R21 is the popular tire size for 21" wheels.

This is the key as far as I'm concerned. A chrome front wheel will make the stock back stand out. Otherwise it's not very noticeable.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:09 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by monumaker
It's geto to not do both...
Yeah...

I think you mean ghetto.

And no, it's hardly ghetto.

Last edited by ocezam; 08-10-2012 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply: upgrading wheels