Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

October trips

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default October trips

Is the last week of September, First week of October too late to head to the Dragon and other roads in that area? Being from South Louisiana we don't have problems with snow, cold and the such...and I dont want to be caught off guard.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:38 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

You're good to go. Even up here in Pa a snow that early is really a shot in the dark.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:44 PM
103tom
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are riding up there that weekend from Florida, meet ya there. Be safe!

Old 08-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,734 Likes on 19,290 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang951
Is the last week of September, First week of October too late to head to the Dragon and other roads in that area? Being from South Louisiana we don't have problems with snow, cold and the such...and I dont want to be caught off guard.
It'll give you a break from that oppressive "Lusiana" heat .... actually it's a great time to ride that area .... The colors will start to change ... just remember that the leaves can/might make it kind of slippery. have a great ride and don't forget to ride the Cherohala Highway too!

Old 08-09-2012, 02:59 PM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this will be our 10th year going to that area at that time it is usually beautiful and cool in the morning, warm in afternoon and sun sets quickly at night. Absolutely perfect.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:08 PM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang951
Heading down to the French Quarter the last week of october for a few days in the cage. Also hoping for nice weather

Old 08-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Guitar4Him
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to see the leaves at peak color, then you should shoot for the 2nd or 3rd week of October. We went the 3rd week of October last year and the leaves, especially at the higher elevations, were just past peak. My "rule of thumb" in the past is to shoot for sometime around the 15th of October. Sometimes the leaves peak a little earlier and sometimes, a little later but the 15th is a good average gamble.

BTW...going at peak leaf color time does have a downside...lots of what we call "leaf-peepers" in cages. However, the beauty of all the color is worth the extra caution you have to use with so many "leaf-peepers" around. That area is simply breathtaking at peak color time.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:31 PM
icepick
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the second or third week of October, best time for color. but I have experienced mid 20s morning and ice in the tunnels on some of the roads and shady spots too. so besides cages, slow down and enjoy. And I feel your heat in MS too!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Cant wait that long as there are other things going on later in the month. Right after we come back we are scheduled to head to the Angola Prison Rodeo, the following weekends I have work stuff.

Did take heed and plan on riding in that area during the week. Plan on hitting the Devil's triangle, Cherahola, Dragon, Moonshine 28, Bluepark Skyway and Diamondback Loop. May not want to come home afterward.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:47 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

October is the busiest{pretiest} time of year in the Smokies. Best to have reservations and and there will be heavy traffic. Avoid Hwy 66 south{exit 407} from I40 Use alternate route, hwy 66 will be backed up for miles. Riding will be cool nights and warm days.

Quick Reply: October trips