Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First close call

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012 | 11:21 PM
Timekeeper10
|
Cruiser
Default First close call

Got my 06 Ultra in Feb. I put about 5000 miles on it and had someone pull out of a Dollar General Store to my left front quarter. No time for the horn, no time for anything except brakes. My back break locked up and let out a squeal, the bike's rear end slid over about 6 inches. (It felt like 3 feet). She finally saw me as she was entering my lane and stopped. I recovered the skid and away I went. Wife says, "were you scared" I told her no, it happend so fast it was over before I could think. I was eyeing her as I approached waiting for her to do something stupid and she did. My only issue is that I don't know how much front brake I was using. I have decided that I need to work on emergency stops so I know exactly what I will do. The advice I have read on this forum is to assume that every car is out to kill you, so I do. Thanks HD Forum.

Old 08-09-2012 | 12:52 AM
traylestrat
Tourer

This spring someone pulled in front of me and I hit the rear brake hard and laid my bike down. I was on some oil for sure, so it made for a spill. I picked the bike up on the side of the intersection, with the help of another soul who saw the whole thing. I got up and rode off without really so much as a nervous twitch. But I remembered to learn from it. And I thought...how much front brake did I use? I couldn't remember. My tendency is to go for the rear, sadly like a cage, but it's a reflex. Now, every time I brake, I'm conscious of the front and rear brake pressure balance.

Important post by you Timekeeper10!

Old 08-09-2012 | 03:42 AM
HDCat
Cruiser

Good to hear that you came out of this encounter unscathed, but with some valuable lessons learned! Encounters with cagers is bad news once contact is made! Keep riding safe and alert and watch out for those bargain hunters (Dollar General Store)!

Old 08-09-2012 | 03:47 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member

Only 1 close call after 5k, not bad. You're right to think every cage is after you, because the minute you stop, that's probably when one will get you. Also definitely practice with the front brakes, a lot of stopping power there, its not like you're going to go over the handlebars or something like on a bicycle, as long as the front is pointed straight you should be ok. If you ever get a newer bike its moments like you had that make you appreciate ABS.

Old 08-09-2012 | 06:18 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member

I have had plenty of close calls, not all with wheel lock up, but close anyway. It is best to assume that the cage driver will do the worst possible thing and watch for others around you. It's a full time job I guess.

Old 08-09-2012 | 08:13 AM
rwells33
6th Gear

Yeah i have had a few of those close calls including a pickup with a long ladder in the back that pulled out in front of me. Dang near took my head off. Which leads me to my next question, under normal braking conditions how much % of rear vs. Front brake does everyone typically use?

Old 08-09-2012 | 08:29 AM
waybo418
Intermediate

I was taught, about 100 years ago, in a motorcycle safety course, that about 72 percent of a motorcycles stopping power is in the front brake. I have heard those percentages move as high as 90 percent, but you get the idea. That is pretty much all i use to stop with. The OL knows if my right foot comes up, we are stopping hard and she needs to hang on.

Alot of riders, myself included, forget what we were taught and develop many bad riding habits. The simple fact is that those bad habits could kill us. It is easy for someone to say that they ALWAYS assume that everyone is trying to kill them, but I doubt that anyone ALWAYS does anything. We all get tired, wet, cold etc. and could drop our guard.

I am so glad that everything turned out okay for you. We have all been there. I am hopefully going to use this as a reminder to myself to be as alert and viligant as I can.

Old 08-09-2012 | 08:35 AM
gmc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rwells33
Yeah i have had a few of those close calls including a pickup with a long ladder in the back that pulled out in front of me. Dang near took my head off. Which leads me to my next question, under normal braking conditions how much % of rear vs. Front brake does everyone typically use?
According to the Proficient Motorcycling book, which I just read after 48 years of riding, 30% rear and 70 % front which is what integrated systems use. He advises practicing panic stops every riding season. If you lock up the rear brake ease off before the bike gets sideways or it will highside when you release it. If bike does get sideways with rear locked your suppose to keep brake on til bike slides down but that takes the big boys.

Old 08-09-2012 | 08:41 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by waybo418
I was taught, about 100 years ago, in a motorcycle safety course,

Alot of riders, myself included, forget what we were taught and develop many bad riding habits. The simple fact is that those bad habits could kill us.
Exactly why I advocate for recurrency training. Take a MSF advanced course if you think you are to good for a basic, but do it! Anyone that thinks they are to good to learn something new is an accident waiting to happen.

Old 08-09-2012 | 07:56 PM
motorlessons
Tourer

As this post makes clear, the time to learn good braking technique; and the time to practice braking is NOT when you need the skills.

It is important (Life or death really) to have these skills. The way you practice is how you will react.

I've written a lot about braking in my booklet, which is always free. If anyone wants a copy, email me at:

motorlessons@hotmail.com

Harris
Denver, CO

www.youtube.com/conedown

Quick Reply: First close call