Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First close call

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012 | 10:30 AM
waybo418
Intermediate

Originally Posted by waybo418
I was taught, about 100 years ago, in a motorcycle safety course, that about 72 percent of a motorcycles stopping power is in the front brake. I have heard those percentages move as high as 90 percent, but you get the idea. That is pretty much all i use to stop with. The OL knows if my right foot comes up, we are stopping hard and she needs to hang on.

Alot of riders, myself included, forget what we were taught and develop many bad riding habits. The simple fact is that those bad habits could kill us. It is easy for someone to say that they ALWAYS assume that everyone is trying to kill them, but I doubt that anyone ALWAYS does anything. We all get tired, wet, cold etc. and could drop our guard.

I am so glad that everything turned out okay for you. We have all been there. I am hopefully going to use this as a reminder to myself to be as alert and viligant as I can.
Originally Posted by skratch
you illustrate this point perfectly. if you're doing a hard stop, you really need to use your rear brake in conjunction with the front brake. it will stop you in a much shorter distance.

Read closer. I DO use the rear brake in a panic stop. I also practice the stops about twice a year at the local community college. Thankfully, however, I haven't had to use a panic stop very often. Still worth practicing though.

Old 11-04-2012 | 01:31 PM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
From: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.

I gotta feeling Mr. Harris is gonna be sending out a few more booklets. A GREAT thread!

I've been re-considering my abilities on an 800lb+ bike. Sportbikes and standards weighing half as much are easier to control and that's what I've been on for the last 46 years.

I've yet to hear anyone say anything bad about the MSF courses, in fact just the contrary. That would be a nice Christmas present.